4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My experience: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Default My experience: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving!

Well fellas, I just got home from a day at Bondurant Racing School. Man was it a blast! We got there early morning, checked in, and the fun started immediately! Talking with others and making friends for the day. They had a short introduction and immediately we went out to the track and got ready to rock. I drove a 2011 camaro SS, and it was a "lead and follow" with the instructor. Basically, they went as fast as you pushed them while you were behind them, and if you kept up they went faster, if you fell behind they slowed down so you could watch them and learn from them. They had it split up into 3 groups of 3 cars+1 instructor for each group, all on the track at once. So I got lucky and only had me, my uncle, and the instructor in our group, so we really got to pushing the cars because the group could only go as fast as the slowest person! The instructor was great, and we even got the cars a little sideways, and were right on the instructors bumper the entire time! The instructor even asked how many times we had done it, and said we surprised him. The track was a fairly tight track with one straight away where I saw about 85mph on the speedo in the car I was driving, a few nice tight S turns at the end of this straight, a couple nice sweepers, and some hill turns as well.

After this the fun really picked up, as they strapped us into their Z06 corvettes and we went and did a few laps at race pace with professional drivers, I looked at the speedo on the vette and it said 125 mph on the same straight were the camaro was about 85! They really used the vettes to their potential and my driver asked about what kind of car I drove before we left and I told him and he promptly said he'd give me the ride of a life time.

They were very efficient in getting everyone in and out of cars, so while others were driving the staff was very pleasant and nice to talk too. It wasnt like a bunch of drill sargeants, which is one thing I was a bit worried about.

All in all, I had more fun today than I've ever had. Even though they were all Chevy's! ha.

I'm sure Jazzer will like this, and I even signed up for a track day to go to where I use my own car, and it will be more lead and follow, along with some timed autoX, and a couple other events.

Sorry for sounding like a school girl, but I just got home and wanted to share !
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

That's awesome! I've always wanted to do something like that!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Agreed

I have done the exact same day with BB School a couple years back. I did get to drive my own car though, so was a bonus for me. You did not mention the track in which you ran. Put up a course map and let us check it out!

Jazzer
Old 04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

That is awesome man. I did this back in the day when they had the Mustangs and it was an absolute blast. I took the 3 day performance driving course. Did you take any video?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

That sounded like a great time!! I dislike camaros but vettes are sexy as hell and I would love to rip one through a track.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I will try and find a track map, it was a fun little track.!

Jazzer, in may I'm doing another day where I bring my own car! I'll also have fresh tires so it should be fun!

I wish I had video, however I didnt bring the go pro )
Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

The first time on track for anyone is usually a very memorable experience. I still remember mine and just letting my 02 Z06 open up to what I felt comfortable with. Mine was at Nashville Superspeedway and doing about 130 mph down the front straightaway. Awesome feeling for sure!

Now that you've got a taste of it, the only way to make it get better is to do more of them! Now that we've warned you... your bank account will hate you from now on. But its incredibly fun and I've met alot of great people along the way in my racing with Nasa and made some really good friends too. Enjoy and good luck!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

That's something I've had my eye on...sounds really cool.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

yeah, I'm looking into NASA, and there is also one called Pro Autosport? My bank account already hates me just from buying things for the car, now I can spend that money on using the car for what I bought it for, to enjoy it!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
yeah, I'm looking into NASA, and there is also one called Pro Autosport? My bank account already hates me just from buying things for the car, now I can spend that money on using the car for what I bought it for, to enjoy it!
I had never heard of Pro Autosports before... so I went and looked it up. Looks like kind of a more wide-open philosophy as far as modifications you can make on your car. That's good if you like to play around with your car and change things, but it gets very expensive very quickly. That organization looks a little more local to the Southwest only.

Nasa is a little more broad, but has regions all across the US. They have a National Championship too... if it were me, I'd go with Nasa. If you want to race your car, build your car to the set rules that you want to run it in. Otherwise, you'll mod yourself out of the class before you even get started.

Quick Reply: My experience: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving!