4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

finally go to the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 AM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

Actually I was in the right lane on the last pass. I misses 2nd and i was racing my buddy in his 04 gt. I feel I did good for my first time. Other then I ended up cracking my intake manifold but I've already ordered a new one with the aluminum crossover. So hopefully I can get that on before next Thursday so I can run again.
But like you said practice makes perfect... I wasn't shaking as bad on my 3rd and 4th passes lol.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Well man, practice makes perfect. The more you get out there and make passes, the faster you'll run, event without adding mods!

Then I can set you up with some suspension and sticky tires, and drop MAJOR time off of your quarter mile.

It looks like you ran 95mph on the last pass, which is closer to where you should be. Your user info says you have an '00 GT. A stock '00 GT in ideal conditions will run 13.9 @ 100. (at least, that's what I ran) Your 95mph trap speed was pretty close, so you're getting there. The elapsed time will come down with better launches, and speed shifting or power shifting.
Sounds about right, I ran a 13.7 @ 101 with mine. It's got a CAI, upper intake elbow, 75mm TB, cabtback, UDP and a sniper 93 octane tune. Maybe 30 hp tops over stock.

Originally Posted by kj4kym
Yep just had loads of fun my first time. Learned a lot too! Like that I have to stay out of the gas through 1st when launching learned that after spinning through 2nd but I still beat the Honda lol. Played around with my air pressure on these crappy tires. dropped to around 30 and took my et from 16 to a 15. Hopefully I can get into the 14s soon. Just gotta work on that launch and 60' times... whenever I go to Mustang week I'm sure ill learn alot about this car down there
I wouldn't mess with air pressure much on street tires, you'll end up destroying the tires or blowing one out. That's my personal opinion. They were mean't to run with pressure. If you want more traction, get in the water box put it in 2nd, get a very minimal slip on the clutch to lock all of the drifvetrain components together so you don't shock load the drivetrain, give it some gas and let the clutch fly and stick your foot on the brake lightly. Hold it at about 4k rpm for 3 seconds to get a little smoke and let off the brake (none of that ricer shi* off the rev limiter... that's how you break shi*). That's how I ran my 1.99.

Depending on your tire compound this may or may not help. My tires like to be warm, I noticed a serious difference in traction with the burnout even with an all season tire, I actually bogged the car the first time I tried it. Oh and btw don't drive straight through the water box, drive around it and back in. If you drive through it you get water in the tread of the front tires which will in turn drip in front of your rear tires and possibly hurt you off the line.

Actually I was in the right lane on the last pass. I misses 2nd and i was racing my buddy in his 04 gt. I feel I did good for my first time. Other then I ended up cracking my intake manifold but I've already ordered a new one with the aluminum crossover. So hopefully I can get that on before next Thursday so I can run again.
But like you said practice makes perfect... I wasn't shaking as bad on my 3rd and 4th passes lol.
You hot lap the car? Did you give it any breaks through out the night? I only raced my car once since it's my dd and I don't want to beat on it, but I always give it a few breaks throughout the night. Components heat up like crazy and they have to cool off or you'll break stuff (like the crappy plastic intake manifold...I was thinking about mine all night haha she survived for now). I'd say give it 3 runs, then shut it down, open the hood and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Obviously more time is better, but we all pay to use the track so we don't want to spend all night sitting around haha.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
SNOW

kj, which track are you running. Mid. Tenn. is all 1/8 mile.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SNOW
kj, which track are you running. Mid. Tenn. is all 1/8 mile.
Thunder valley at Bristol motor speedway. It's about 20 mins from my place
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

im not gonna read it all right now, but plain and simple most first time drivers of muscle cars think the key to driving them is 0 finesse and all heavy burnout foot. you fry them off the line, then shift like your intending to fry them in second your gonna get those times. I think people have the misconception that thats the fast way to drive.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 AM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
You hot lap the car? Did you give it any breaks through out the night? I only raced my car once since it's my dd and I don't want to beat on it, but I always give it a few breaks throughout the night. Components heat up like crazy and they have to cool off or you'll break stuff (like the crappy plastic intake manifold...I was thinking about mine all night haha she survived for now). I'd say give it 3 runs, then shut it down, open the hood and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Obviously more time is better, but we all pay to use the track so we don't want to spend all night sitting around haha.
No hot lapping. Got to the track around 5 and left around 10 only got in 4 passes.
And if I can get this new intake manifold in and installed in time ill run again this week. And with all the advice and hits ans tips I've gotten over this past week I'm shooting for 14s max
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Yeah, you'll get there man. I had a friend that dropped over a second off of his ET over the course of one season without adding any parts at all. It was all practice. These cars are capable of 1.9X 60-foot times on stock suspension and stock tires. Nail a 1.9 60-foot and some good powershifts and you'll be well into the 13s.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you do this Thursday.

Remember, raise the revs a little (at least to 3000 rpms) but slip the clutch enough to keep the tires from spinning. If the tires spin, the pass is pretty much blown.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
i simply cannot fathom how people get these horrendous times from our cars.
Some of us go to the track with our first 5sp car, with roughly 9-10 months of experience driving, and no prior trips to the drag strip.

I would like to apologize for letting you down.

My first trip to the track I had 4.10's, o/r H, and a catback, on crappy 245 series tires.

My best was 14.545@99.XX with a 2.226 60'

Instead of criticizing, maybe suggest something helpful....such as, practice...feathering the clutch...buy DR's..

that exact same car with DR's and practice shifting/launching went 13.6@100.8 with a 1.85 60'

OP.... practice....get DR's.. don't get discouraged
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Yeah, you'll get there man. I had a friend that dropped over a second off of his ET over the course of one season without adding any parts at all. It was all practice. These cars are capable of 1.9X 60-foot times on stock suspension and stock tires. Nail a 1.9 60-foot and some good powershifts and you'll be well into the 13s.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you do this Thursday.

Remember, raise the revs a little (at least to 3000 rpms) but slip the clutch enough to keep the tires from spinning. If the tires spin, the pass is pretty much blown.
i would consider myself a pretty good driver of a mildly modified mustang, and ill tell you right now, that i find it very unlikely that 1.9x 60' would be considered achievable for most people. Im not going to say its not possible, altho i have not heard of anyone doing it on factory non dr 245s with factory suspension. My best and average(at least until i got gears) on 245s just falkens nothing special was 2.010. and my best time with almost all the bolt ons was 13.39. But ill say this something seems a bit weird about your slips. Your mph is really, really low. So first off, your in a pi mustang right? and if so, your trap should be much closer to 100mph, so unless your counting before each shift, then im sorry to say but your times wont improve much. Because it appears that the power just may not be there. But other than that, ill run you through a quick run for me.

Burnout box 2nd gear, lite them up leave them going for 4-5 seconds, then roll out of the burnout box tires blazing until they grab. Dont listen to what people say about burnouts not helping on street tires, they are either full of crap, or have had some amazing trac prep. (if you doubt the need to do a burnout, do one of mine, then your next run dont do one and launch the same way, chances are really good you wont have any traction). Then if you want to get your times down, i would ignore the green light. i mean try not to sit there for a minute or somthing, but worry about how your launching trying to get it right and consitent, then worry about the light. lastly i shift at 6k i know i probebly shouldnt but hey it netted me awsome times, rolling through the gate in 3rd not 4th. Your first shift comes up really fast, so i always as soon as my launch is over just tell myself powershift powershift powershift so i dont forget cuz its like 2 seconds lol. then get yourself an mgw sts and powershift 3rd.

and this is what it should look and sound like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdd6...F1mmX7YYGFDLs=
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Get some Slicks and launch at 6k

Quick Reply: finally go to the 1/4