4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What could this noise be?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

If it is coming from the front, it could be a wheel bearing too.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolverine8490
If it is coming from the front, it could be a wheel bearing too.
That's what I was thinking at first, but I felt the wheels and everything is tight, no play left and right or up and down. Could the bearing be making that noise and still be tight?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
That's what I was thinking at first, but I felt the wheels and everything is tight, no play left and right or up and down. Could the bearing be making that noise and still be tight?
Im guessing it could make noise and have no play.All it takes is a small flat spot or little grease when put together.(defects happen but not usually with a good quality bearing like Timken) cheaper ones ...Sure.

To me that video does sound like a wheel bearing (groaning noise).does the noise change pitch or loudness the faster you go?
If so order yourself a hub ,its bad.(Btw its a real easy job if you work on your own Mustang)

GL 69MC393cid
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Im guessing it could make noise and have no play.All it takes is a small flat spot or little grease when put together.(defects happen but not usually with a good quality bearing like Timken) cheaper ones ...Sure.

To me that video does sound like a wheel bearing (groaning noise).does the noise change pitch or loudness the faster you go?
If so order yourself a hub ,its bad.(Btw its a real easy job if you work on your own Mustang)

GL 69MC393cid
Yes, louder I go it gets higher pitched, if I go slower its more of a groaning/grinding and recently it seems to be getting louder. Anyway to check to know for sure if that's what it is? Also yes I do my own work, what all do I have to do to swap it out? It's not press fit? Is it one of the bolt in kind?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Yes, louder I go it gets higher pitched, if I go slower its more of a groaning/grinding and recently it seems to be getting louder. Anyway to check to know for sure if that's what it is? Also yes I do my own work, what all do I have to do to swap it out? It's not press fit? Is it one of the bolt in kind?

Thanks
Its no doubt a bearing what you described above.
but a simple test would be to take off the caliper (to eliminate that as cause) spin the hub and see if you hear any type of noise at all.bearing are pretty quiet when theyre not bad but under load can be quite noticeable.

To change
If I remember ( like 4 years ago when I changed both on my GT ) its very similar to the old school rotor and spindle style.
One bolt in the center that holds on the bearing and hub unit after you remove plastic center cap .

May have to use a steering wheel type puller to remove it if it doesnt slide right off.

I know it was a easy job and didnt have to rent any special tools.Straight forward job for the DIY Pony fixer

Last edited by Repzard; 05-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
Its no doubt a bearing what you described above.
but a simple test would be to take off the caliper (to eliminate that as cause) spin the hub and see if you hear any type of noise at all.bearing are pretty quiet when theyre not bad but under load can be quite noticeable.

To change
If I remember ( like 4 years ago when I changed both on my GT ) its very similar to the old school rotor and spindle style.
One bolt in the center that holds on the bearing and hub unit after you remove plastic center cap .

May have to use a steering wheel type puller to remove it if it doesnt slide right off.

I know it was a easy job and didnt have to rent any special tools.Straight forward job for the DIY Pony fixer
Well I pulled the wheels off and spin the tires turned and everything and looked around for what the noise could be and I've got nothing. Everything seems fine. It only does ot under load. I think I have to get a camera mounted in there to see where the noise is coming from. Know which wheel at least.

Anyone going to be in Carlisle that wants to go for a ride and hear this to help figure it out? It's driving me nuts. Haha
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

So I had a mechanic go for a ride with me and he said he really doesn't think it's a wheel bearing that he hears. I did discover something though, the sound seems to get louder as the car warms up, it's not there when the car is cold. Takes a couple minutes to start and gets to its worst point after 5-10 minutes of driving.

He said it could be the wheel bearing grease thinning out but he doubts it. Maybe this is caliper related? Man this is annoying me, as soon as I figure this out I'm posting up what it was so hopefully it can help someone else out in the future.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

cut all 4 rotors and report back
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
cut all 4 rotors and report back
Anyway I can pull a caliper or a rotor or something one by one to test it. I'd hate to spend the money cutting rotors and then have that not be the problem.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Anyway I can pull a caliper or a rotor or something one by one to test it. I'd hate to spend the money cutting rotors and then have that not be the problem.
sorta, vice grips on the rubber hose to the caliper will basically stop the function of it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What could this noise be?