4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake Upgrade

Starting a thread on the brake upgrade I'm doing on my 01 GT.

After lengthy discussions with Cliffy and Jazzer. I decided on installing Cobra front calipers with new rotors (of course), new lines and Hawk HPS Pads.

I was really close to keeping the GT calipers and just getting new rotors and pads as Jazzer suggested because the price of Cobra calipers is at a premium right now. Everywhere I looked, for finished or nasty condition were running $399.99 just for the calipers and brackets. But lucky me, I ran across a nice service guy who is stationed in Germany who had a set and got them for a song. So cheap mind you I considered just reselling them for $400. Obviously I decided to use them for me.

I had the calipers and brackets glass-blasted at the local machine shop, then I painted them with Duplicolor red caliper paint. I used Duplicolor black caliper paint on the brackets. In the picture below, Cobra is still red. I'm going to take a file and carefully file away the paint on the word Cobra and leave it a nice aluminum color.

Right now, the only thing I'm waffling on is the brake fluid I want to use. I'll re-read jazzers how-to on brakes to get a good baseline. But as always, suggestions are welcome.

I'll post pictures on the install when I get around to doing it. I'm planning on doing it the weekend of 5/5.

Here are some pics.

Calipers & Brackets as I received them

After they got glass-blasted

And almost ready to install (just need to remove the paint on the word Cobra)

Last edited by Shampue; 04-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Looks good man i need to start worrying about my brakes too.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Nice clean up job.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

DOT 5.1 (!!! NOT DOT 5 !!!).

DOT 5 is silicone based and should not be used on a street car as it is hydrophobic (does not absorb water). While it does have a higher boiling point than DOT 4 (500°F vs. 445°F), it should not be used on the street because it does not absorb water. Any condensation or water contamination can pool up in the system and cause corrosion.

Also, with the introduction of DOT 5.1, DOT 5's higher boiling point is now irrelevant--DOT 5.1 boils at 518°F.

DOT 4 and earlier, and DOT 5.1, fluids are glycol based and are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb water. 5.1 is currently the best stuff for street use.

DOT 5 should not be mixed with DOT 4 or earlier, or DOT 5.1 fluids.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Thanks cliff.

Also, Is it true that two different fluids will foam up?
So, I really either need to have the same fluid or do a complete flush out then add the new 5.1 fluid?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Though not recommended, DOT 3 and 4, and 5.1 are fully miscible and can be mixed in any proportion. I have only seen foaming when new fluid is mixed with very old water saturated fluid that should have been flushed anyway.

I would use this as an opportunity to flush the system. Drain the fluid reservoir with a baster and fill it with 5.1, then bleed the new front brakes. Next bleed the right, then left, rears until you see clear fluid, and then for completeness/just-to-be-sure bleed the fronts again.

Be careful with those pretty new calipers, the brake fluid may dissolve the paint...

Last edited by cliffyk; 04-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

With a total flush as you suggest, how much fluid do I need to get? 1 can? 3 cans?

The paint I used is a high temp ceramic paint for brake calipers. I'll still be careful.

My cousin is going to help me do the swap. He upgraded the brakes on his 94 Z/28 to 2002 Corvette brakes and did a stellar job. Not to mention, he has the tools I lack
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

One quart should be plenty...
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Nice job on the brakes find!
That's the way to do it, glass bead & paint everything before the installation.
Will the Cobra brakes fit with your rims?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

They should fit. They are the stock 17" wheels

Everything I read says they'll fit. I'll do a test fit before I do the complete swap, just to make sure.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade