4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Another coolant leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Cleaning the mating surface on the heads and discovered a divot on the outer rim of one of the coolant passageways:

What the ****? I don't think its small enough to where the gasket will cover it entirely. Any ideas on what to do? JBweld? RTV gasket the area?
JB Kwik and that area will need cleaning way better then that. If boyj heads look like that you have your work cut out for you. good luck
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

These heads can eat a dick. Letting carb cleaner soak in but this **** doesn't want to come off easily at all.

Quick question about a plug that I found hooked onto the back of the stock manifold. It was 'hooked' inside the crossover I think when I removed the manifold from the block, but looking at both new and old manifolds I don't see where it could have possibly plugged in to. Is this just an extra plug that was stuffed in the manifold so it wasn't just dangling freely?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

The plug in question:

..and the small progress I made on the driver's head

Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn. Nobody knows what that plug is for?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

The vacuum heaters that we use at work do not involve liquids at all, only air. But they get pretty hot and get cycled on and off alot. The permatex link you gave me looks like the best thing for you to use. Its very similar to what we use and its made specifically for gaskets.

Another option is real epoxy. There are a lot of different epoxies that arent quick and brittle like JB weld. We use a few diff epoxies at work that we order from McMaster Carr. But I would have no clue what would be good for this application - or how to find it.

That plug does not look familiar at all. I did not have a plug going to my intake on the rear of my motor like that at all when I disassembled for my blower install. I had connects for DPFE, EGR, etc but I do not recall anything like that. I'll take a look at my stuff tomorrow to see if I spot anything as I have an intake leak myself to diagnose and fix. I will likely be pulling my blower/intake and will be looking at the same stuff soon.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Hangwire
The vacuum heaters that we use at work do not involve liquids at all, only air. But they get pretty hot and get cycled on and off alot. The permatex link you gave me looks like the best thing for you to use. Its very similar to what we use and its made specifically for gaskets.

Another option is real epoxy. There are a lot of different epoxies that arent quick and brittle like JB weld. We use a few diff epoxies at work that we order from McMaster Carr. But I would have no clue what would be good for this application - or how to find it.

That plug does not look familiar at all. I did not have a plug going to my intake on the rear of my motor like that at all when I disassembled for my blower install. I had connects for DPFE, EGR, etc but I do not recall anything like that. I'll take a look at my stuff tomorrow to see if I spot anything as I have an intake leak myself to diagnose and fix. I will likely be pulling my blower/intake and will be looking at the same stuff soon.
OK, thanks.

I went ahead and used some blue RTV gasket maker sealant stuff and applied it on the spot where the chunk is missing, and layed the gasket itself on top of it with some weight so that once its done settling/drying (24 hr recommended) I can finish with this sh*t and get the car back on the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if that plug was meant for something on another model vehicle...or it might be a plug related to the EGR valve, which my car does not have (had it stock but was removed).
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by 99GTvert

I wouldn't be surprised if that plug was meant for something on another model vehicle...or it might be a plug related to the EGR valve, which my car does not have (had it stock but was removed).
that plug is for the DPFE sensor, which you now do not have because the EGR is no longer hooked up
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
that plug is for the DPFE sensor, which you now do not have because the EGR is no longer hooked up
OK, thanks.

The shop that did my headers deleted the EGR and must have tucked that plug into the bottom of the manifold around one of the small 'hooks' between each runner....neat-o.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

On the front of the manifold where the coolant crosses over, there is a sensor that screws in towards the passenger side. Stock, it wasn't exactly in all the way as it still had about 3 or 4 threads exposed. I've got it in the new manifold at about the same...is that normal?

Going to start the car soon...hope it all works well.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
kj4kym
1st Gear Member

Hope it all works for you. My sensor didn't go in all the way either

Quick Reply: Another coolant leak!!