4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

how to beat the heat

Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default how to beat the heat

I'm sure everyone in here as experienced how hot the inside of our cars get especially around the consoleand feet area. In mississippi anyway to stay a lil cooler in the summer the better so I decided I was going to put some kinda matting down to try to keep the heat out.

I have looked at everything dynamat, b-quiet, second skin and had decided to do the lizard skin because it really keeps the weight down.

Being the cheap person I'am somethimes I got to searching for an alternative before I spent the doe on some lizard skin and found that a lot of guys are using hvac insualtion in their cars. At $18 a roll and maybe 2 pound a roll of 12in by 15ft insualtion I thought I would give it a try.

Here are some before shots

One side done!

Heres a vid showing how well is cuts down on sound.

Thats all for tonight going to finish it up tomorrow looks like its gonna take around 3 rolls total to do from the firewall back to the rear seats. so $60 bucks and around 6 pounds added isn't so bad if it cuts the heat down as good as I hope.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Got done with it today.

Put everything back in in went for a 30min drive in 90degree heat. I can not begin to explain how well this stuff works, not only did my feet not get warm at all but its deadens the road noise so much that now I can hear my doors rattling which I never hear before lol. I guess I will be pulling my door panels off and doing them next.

I could not get over how quiet my tri-ax shifter is now, before it was very noisy now it sounds like it did when it was stock.

I ended up using 2 rolls at $38 total to do from the firewall back to the rear seats.

This is what I used
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Good idea man, I live in PA so i am in a little bit cooler weather then what you guys deal with in the summer, but i hate the heat that comes off of the floor of these cars.

I just dont feel like stripping the interior, my cars normally apart more then it is together because i am always doing something to it
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Good idea man, I live in PA so i am in a little bit cooler weather then what you guys deal with in the summer, but i hate the heat that comes off of the floor of these cars.

I just dont feel like stripping the interior, my cars normally apart more then it is together because i am always doing something to it
i hear ya on the modding I probably spend more time modding than i do driving the car.

It took me about 45min to take everything out because I could not figure out how to get the lower rear seat out, turned out to be really simple after a quick search online.

It took me about 1hr or more to put everthing back in because i had to modify my console. I guess because of the extra thickness under the carpart now I couldn't get my console to go down far enough to bolt it back in so i had to trim 1/8'' off all around the buttom of the console.

After doing it and seeing the results I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

How did you secure the HVAC onto the floor of the car? I am definitely going to do this over the summer. I need to strip down the interior anyways so I might as well, especially considering the convertibles are noisier than the coupes.

Last edited by DutchManDann; 05-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i need to try this. inside my car is at least 10* warmer than ambient temp, and this is at night!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

not a bad idea. my floor gets hot as ballz with the lts
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DutchManDann
How did you secure the HVAC onto the floor of the car? I am definitely going to do this over the summer. I need to strip down the interior anyways so I might as well, especially considering the convertibles are noisier than the coupes.
The stuff I used had a sticky back to it but I used 3m adhesive spray on my transmission tunnel because it didn't seem to stick very well to anything other than a flat surface.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
DutchManDann
2nd Gear Member

Awesome thank you! I will get around to doing this during the summer. I've got quite a few projects for my car this summer so i'll just add this to the list ahah
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

This floor heat has made me contemplate selling my car multiple times. I can't ****in stand it,but i'm way too lazy to rip out my flooring. I would just do by the firewall/front seats anyway since that is the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to beat the heat