4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

GT running rough after trans/clutch/ other stuff install

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default GT running rough after trans/clutch/ other stuff install

So I replaced my transmission with a rebuilt tremec 3650 from smart parts auto and got it back today, and IMMEDIATELY on revving up first gear to test drive it before paying my mechanic, i notice the thing running ROUGH!

I can feel roughness/vibration through the floorboard, but not through the shifter or clutch pedal. the car literally does not sound anything like what it used to after these things have been installed.

i had my front ball joints replaced, all 4 shocks/struts, lower and upper control arms installed, a steeda tri-ax shifter, an OEM replacement clutch, the flywheel resurfaced and the rebuilt trans installed and now the thing runs rough. not NEARLY as much power as before...

i can hear a lot of noise within the transmission itself, i can hear the clutch chattering a lot and the thing is sluggish and has nowhere near the same power as before. also the clutch is chattering LIKE HELL on take offs and shifts to all gears besides reverse, where there is slightly less chatter

my dad used to work on cars a lot, and he thinks it could be the flywheel might not be balanced, the drive shaft wasn't installed correctly (not to the correct marks that should have been made before disassembling it) or one of the mechanics could have tripped a spark plug wire.

any of those sound likely? please leave your thoughts................ i'm calling my mechanic in the morning and am really going to give him a piece of my mind..... it did NOT feel/sound like this before everything was installed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Theres just to many things it could be to give u good starting point, trans mount, motor mount, clutch, flywheel, ds, could be any of these plus some, as far as the loss of power thats should of been effected, also what rear upper and lower controls did you do, alot of the vibration can be from them which increased nvh will be normal
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Does the engine vibrate when running and setting still in neutral?
Run the car up to 30-40 mph and shift into neutral, take your foot off the clutch and let the engine idle. What happens?
How are the feel and sounds different between accelerating and decelerating (foot off the gas)?
Does the vibration change with engine speed while not moving?
Does the vibration change with vehicle speed when in neutral & foot off the clutch?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

everybody i am desparate from everyones opinion...... please read, i know it is long...............

its a rumbling noise it was making. it sounded like an extremely high performance loud engine.... i think the control arms i could hear, but there was just vibration felt in the floor when driving. SOME vibration/floor feeling in neutral...

i brought it back and the mechanic said it might be missing at higher RPMS from a bad coil boot, but i honestly changed them not even a year ago, and it wasn;t missing when i brought it in there. the car is still there. he added that it could be the new clutch making some vibration, because the pressure plate fingers dont extend out as far as my old mcleod clutch (which got burnt up in less than 15000 miles, didn't even last a whole year, i called them and am sending it back to hopefully get compensation or a new one) and could be making the TOB move around on the input shaft. i didn't feel a whole lot of vibration in the pedal, unlike my mcleod clutch, but the new clutch chatters LIKE HELL going into first and second. its unusual to say the least, with a stock replacement. the clutch adjuster is adjusted practically the entire way out, which is the opposite of the mcleod clutch.

my mechanic has a stock replacement for a 03-04 cobra and is going to see how different the fingers are on that on, if they extend farther, if that will fix the vibration. if that doesn;t work, i'm going to put my old stock clutch on it from when i replaced it with the mcleod clutch, put the old transmission on, send back the new transmission (rebuild one) get my money back for it, and get the old one rebuild for 2 grand at montgomery transmission

thoughts please............................................ ..........

personally, i think the transmission had a problem. even though it was rebuilt, something is not right. i called smart parts auto and they said theres no way it could be the transmission and that it must be the flywheel or driveshaft or some part might not be installed correctly or something might not be tight on the transmission to the block. they said they dyno test all of them for vibrations or roughness and they don't let one go if anything feels weird.

the car felt like a different car. it did not feel like the car i drove in to the shop.

i called montgomery transmissions, a transmission shop near my house, and they said they could rebuild my old transmission for two grand, including rebuilding the entire thing, and installing it and uninstalling the old one. they also added that getting a rebuild transmission for 1200 bucks is fishy, that it "sounds too good to be true". after hearing that, im thinking it could be the transmission.

the plan now is to see if a cobra stock replacement clutch will have pressure plate fingers extended far enough out to help the suspected vibration from the TOB moving around, to take up the slack in the cable because the adjuster is almost the entire way adjusted out.

if that doesn;t work, then my plan is to put my old stock clutch on (the one i replaced with the mcleod clutch last year), put the old transmission on, send back the rebuilt one to get my money back, and bring my car to the transmission shop to get it rebuilt for two grand, and send back the mcleod clutch for compensation or a new clutch.

thoughts please.....................