4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

midpipe headaches

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Jensgt

Default midpipe headaches

I took the GT to get the catted midpipe put on today. Got it done pretty quick and headed out to a friends house. Within 5 minutes I knew...I am putting the O/R H pipe back on as soon as I possibly can. It is still loud but its just not the same...at certain RPMs it just sounds flat. It made me sad. lol. But I just have to get through inspection so no big deal....I thought.

About an hour later I was leaving a bank parking lot...and I am not even sure what happened...there was no speed bump...I guess it was just the angle of the exit out of the lot...but I heard that awful scratching noise. I did not think much of it, lowered cars scratch on things...its happened plenty of times before. Then I start hearing this rattly noise. ****. Then the service engine light comes on. Double ****.

Now I have to drive a half hour to the closest autozone to run the code and figure out what it is. I was supposed to get the inspection done tomorrow. The guy seems laid back. Maybe he won't be a pain about it or maybe he will even help me out if its just the pipe is loose. My mechanic has closed up shop for the weekend to go to hot rod weekend. I have 9 days to get it inspected. lol.

The silver lining is I was complaining about all this to my ex boyfriend...and he said he would throw the H pipe back on it for a case of beer. So that saves me some money. Ah cars...they never make it easy on us!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ill take care of the car if you can wait until after the weekend. Ill also be in ocmd. but I know your car inside and out
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Jesus.....hows she running otherwise?
Aside from longtubes, I always wanted to put an offroad X on it....
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Jensgt

Whitefox thanks so much for the offer. I will keep it in mind if we have any issues. My ex (Jeff) and I installed the bassani and h pipe on the car originally so I guess thats why he offered to help because he's done it before. If he changes his mind or something I'll let you know.

Rob everything else is fine with the car. I'm used to driving it over speedbumps...As much as I try to avoid it. That catted pipe just sits so much lower...ah I hate it in every way!!!! I'm at an appointment now but as soon as I get back home
I'm headed out to get the code I'll post it up.

Oh and the nitrous kit is off...he said you did a really good job with the install you had done. It came off easy and left no traces.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Jensgt

Oh and the nitrous kit is off...he said you did a really good job with the install you had done. It came off easy and left no traces.
*cough cough* (pats self on back lol)

now let me come get the nitrous stuff so i can complete the other half of that kit
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Jensgt

I let him keep the stuff if he took it off for free, and he's going to give me a free AC charge when he gets back.

Where in Delaware are you? Wish I was a little closer to you...I don't mind driving though. I know this guy so I take my car to him but to be honest I think he only does his best work when he is working on his own car. Its a little bothersome. I got lucky with my ex offering to do the work with for free but in the future, like if I do headers, I would be looking for somebody to do them.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Have whitefox hook up ur car. He did a few things on mine. He does a bang up job, and he's a cheap date!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by kugzgt
Have whitefox hook up ur car. He did a few things on mine. He does a bang up job, and he's a cheap date!
this guy knows whats up

I have the other half of your nitrous kit jen, so maybe i can work out a deal with your ex or something. Im about 5 minutes into delaware off rt.40. ~20 minutes from cecil country dragway
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Jensgt

Its not my ex that has the nitrous, its my mechanic. I can let him know if you wanted to buy the stuff or something.

So I just got back from getting inspection and it looks like I have some work to do. The car is in great working order...which is good news. It needs some little stuff like power steering fluid and front pads. He said there is a gash in the back left tire so I would need to replace that but he said the tire he would not fail me for. The pain in the butt is the tint he won't pass it. The real problem is the seatbelt is gone in the back left. Rob said the guy before him cut it out to do a seat delete and then did not do it. It does not seem like it will be cheap to get a seatbelt installed...so I could do the rear seat delete, which I would not mind much...or maybe I can find somebody to pass it as it is for some cash. I have a friend who says he knows a guy so maybe that happens or maybe not.

Either way I have about a week to get this done and I am not feeling super about it lol.

The rattle...he said he heard it too but the pipes are all connected good so maybe I bent an exhaust hanger?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Jensgt

Ok...I took a deep breath and started calling places.

Tomorrow I am going to get a seatbelt installed as well as brake pads for $270. I really need to buy some tools. I don't even have a jack here...I used to have a garage full of tools! Ex kept them all so that is why I don't feel bad letting him help me with the car LOL.

The tint I would rip off myself but the back window on these cars I have heard its easy to mess it up...so I found a place I can get it taken off for $100 and put back on for $140. That is not bad.

So I guess I will be ok there.

The code was P0156 which is O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: midpipe headaches