4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rear End Swap from Junkyard Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Barley

Default Rear End Swap from Junkyard Mustang

I've had a rear end whine on acceleration around 40-65 since I got my car, I've payed to have it fixed and it's still there and slowly getting louder. It's getting to the point where I don't want to drive the car as I've already spent enough money wastefully trying to get my rear end to stop whining. I had all the seals/bearings replaced by a mechanic, but there's still too much backlash on the driveshaft and whine at those speeds. Not to mention a bunch of headaches that's come from that one job that's making me feel like I essentially threw money down the drain.

I'll be down in South Carolina next month and my buddy has a junkyard near him with a ton of Mustangs in it. I'll be putting on aftermarket lower control arms, all my shocks/struts and springs while I'm there so swapping my rear end wouldn't be that much more work.

I'm not looking to change gears cause all I do is drive highway and I'm not looking to spend anymore money on my rear end. So would be a worthwhile investment to grab a junkyard 8.8 rear end and swap it? Not sure if this is true, but a buddy told me that rear ends in the auto Mustangs almost never whine.

At this point, I'm just trying to figure out if it'd be worth it or not.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

There is no difference between an 8.8 in an auto Vs. a 5 speed. The drive shaft length is the only difference. I would take it back to the guy that "fixed it" the first time. There is no reason for these rear ends to whine. What all was done to the rear end when it was fixed? How long have you had the car? A previous owner may have put gears in it and done a bad job of it. Driving it like that likely set a pattern in the gears and no amount of adjustment will get rid of it. for 180 bucks for parts you can get replacement gears and take them to someone who knows what they are doing. Getting an 8.8 out of a junkyard is roulette too, you may inherit another problem, especially if its been sitting a while, or say the axles were removed and moisture was able to get in, then you'd have to rebuild THAT one.

If I got a rear end out of a junk yard I would be rebuilding it as matter of course, seals bearings and possibly gears as well.

My $.02.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Barley

At this point, I COULD bring it back to him, but I've already wasted so much money on wasted gear oil, seals, bearings, etc... Not to mention the labour + tip. As well as a busted brand new rim when the brake caliper wasn't tightened. It's been brought in three times just due to this one job. I'm not sure if it's worth even spending anymore money on this guy.

The backlash is definitely off, as it clunks into gear and generally just feels terrible to shift. This whole situations just making me not want to spend anymore money on the car, gas included. lol

Essentially I brought it in, got the job done cheap. But due to this one job, I've had a rim busted due to a loose brake caliper, driveshaft not properly tightened, had to replace a pinion seal, wasted a bunch of royal purple gear oil, etc... Not to mention the gas money to go out there. After all that I thought I'd at least have a fixed rear diff.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Is this a business or just a backyard mechanic? If He caused all this, HE needs to eat the cost...period. Unless you drove it for 6 months this way without telling him about the issues. The Clunking could be a bad Universal joint, especially if he didnt tighten the bolts for the drive shaft. There is no reason you should keep paying this person, He should be eating the costs now to make it right.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Is this a business or just a backyard mechanic? If He caused all this, HE needs to eat the cost...period. Unless you drove it for 6 months this way without telling him about the issues. The Clunking could be a bad Universal joint, especially if he didnt tighten the bolts for the drive shaft. There is no reason you should keep paying this person, He should be eating the costs now to make it right.
+1 to this.However you could buy new gears and installation kit.Then take it to a different mechanic and have it done right.You're prob looking at another $400 for parts and labor though.That would solve your problem and viola no more headache.GL keep us updated.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Barley

It's a friend of a friend who works out of a home garage, but is a certified mechanic. He got the rim welded for me, free of cost. (Damn right he did)

I'm still paying for parts and so far, I'm not exactly feeling like this is money well spent. I'm in my early 20's, I wouldn't say I'm rich. I got quoted for a rear end rebuild job around here for 1000 dollars on the labour alone. Seems like mechanics around here are thieves. I'm thinking of just saving my money and getting a reputable shop in New York or Pennsylvania to do it or something.

My brand new axle seal is leaking, so gotta get that replaced too now. Just one thing after another.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeh4269
+1 to this.However you could buy new gears and installation kit.Then take it to a different mechanic and have it done right.You're prob looking at another $400 for parts and labor though.That would solve your problem and viola no more headache.GL keep us updated.
This is exactly what I had to do with mine im soorry to say, and im a freakin mechanic myself! But, livivng in an apartment i had no place to do the work. (im a material handing equipment tech, not cars..lol).

I just called around until I found someone that knew what the hell they were talking aboutand bought another set of gears and started over.

1000 dollars is way too much, I say cross over into PA and have them done right. It cost me 500, minus the gears, but including labour new bearings and shims and seals and the synth oil with friction modifier.
The sucky part is I could have done this job myself if I hada decent place to do the work!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Barley

I'll just live with the rear end noise till I can properly get it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. I live in Ontario, Canada. So it'll be a cool road trip for me. I'm not sure if I'll do it this year though.