4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Member from CO. Few questions regarding 94-04 'stangs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM
GoldfishRT

Default New Member from CO. Few questions regarding 94-04 'stangs.

So I've been hunting for my first car. I've been driving my dad's MazdaSpeed3 but I've finally saved up a good $7,500 for my own car. So the options I've been considering are a 300zx Z32 (love the car, but family already has 2), a 90s Miata, and lastly but not least a 94-04 Mustang (possibly a Cobra?). So there are a few things I wanted to ask.

Firstly, is it worth it to find the older one with the 5.0l small block or is the 4.6l V8 just as reliable? I'm not too worried about any power difference. I'm just curious about reliability, gas mileage, and cost of parts.

Second, is it worth it to hunt down a Mustang Cobra? I'm not entirely certain of the differences between just the standard V8 model and a "Cobra" model. Is it just a trim level or are there other differences like suspension, exhaust, etc?

Third (and slightly tied to the first one), I'm wondering how well these Mustangs hold up. I know our two 300zx have held up extremely well, though have gotten creeky now that they're pushing 100 and 140k miles.

Fourth, if you've driven a Z32 or Miata, how does it compare? I know that it's much, much faster than an NA Z32 and probably a TT as well (at least in a straight line). Miata is a given. I'm more interested in quality of rid and cornering, comfort, and road noise.

Lastly, what would you pay for any specific model with around 80-100k miles. I'm assuming that one newer than about 2001 will be out of my price range. I don't necessarily want museum quality, but just a nice one to drive daily and enthusiastically in the mountains.

I'm sure this has all been asked before (yes I tried the search). I just wanted to do more research as I hunt around for one to test drive (Why are so many of them automatics?) Anyways, thanks for your time.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM
GoldfishRT

Quick addition: If any of you have something more to add like things to look for when buying one (areas of rust, common leaks etc.) please chime in!

Can't find the edit button :P
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ....Cobra's are always a lot of fun!! The 03/04 Cobra's came factory supercharged!!

Time to do a little research....Good luck!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF. I dont know much about the 94-98 mustangs but I know for the 99 - 04 they can get pretty warm around your legs (driver side), especially on a warm day. I've had people tell me the 4.6L is one of the most reliable out there, and i've heard the complete oppisite. I had hell with mine but I still love her. What to look for when purchasing one? The basic stuff, tire tread, check the body, check all the fluid levels, listen for any strange noises, feel if its pulling or not. And its not a bad idea to spend the extra $50 or so to have a mechanic look it over as well, if your not all that knowledgeable about it. I'd also feel all the carpet for any sort of leaks, My back window leaks a little bit, but I checked that and was okay with it (it was so minimal).

Anyways, once again, Welcome to the forums and good luck on your search!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 AM
limitedex
2nd Gear Member

Lots of basic info here. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang#section_5

Don't buy a Miata.........
Old 06-01-2012, 08:14 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I've driven a miata once. It's comparing apples to oranges. Miata is lower to the ground and is very lightweight. It's more like a go-kart experience. You feel like you're going really fast, but that's because you're butt is almost on the pavement. In the corners, the Miata will out perform the stang. I'm not knocking the Miata, but that's where the advantages end.

You CAN drive a mustang in winter in CO if you know how to drive and maintain your gear like appropriate tires, weighting the car, starting in 2nd, etc. A GT will smoke a miata in a straight line and the first gen TT as well (don't know about the later ones) and of course a Cobra will smoke all of them. If you live in metro Denver where ppl drive like idiots, I'd much rather get rear ended in a stang then a miata where you're likely to be underneath the soccer mom's giant Expedition.

Personally, I think of a miata as more like a slow motorcycle where you might have to put it away for several months. Sure, it's like a go kart, but out here maybe not the best choice.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Reliablility is good as long as the car was taken care of. These are the same engines used in police cars and taxi's, and they usually go up past the 200k mark and usually a lot longer. My car has 106k and its been supercharged for 11k miles and nothing has happened out of the ordinary. So as for reliablility i think its more than good.

For a cobra youre probably not gonna be able to afford one with 7500. You might be able to find a deal on a 96-98 cobra but it would be very difficult to find a 99-01 cobra in that price range, and absolutely impossible to find an 03-04 cobra. If i were you i would stick to looking at GT's

I've never driven a miata or z32 so i cant help you there, but i can tell you that ride quality isnt bad and it is pretty comfortable

For 7500 you can definitely find a 99-04. Theres not much differences over the years. There was a problem with the coolant crossover on the earlier years, but i think in 04 they changed it from plastic to aluminum so that fixed it. They changed the trans in the mid 01's. But i dont think theres an advantage between either of them. Pretty much any year 99-04 will be good for you.

Good luck searching and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Welcome! Lots of good info in the stickies. As stated before, the three cars you're looking at are all different animals. Depends on what you really want to do with the car. Mustangs are extremely reliable and parts are fairly abundant and cheap (unlike your 300zx).

If I was you, I'd be looking for a Jeep or something that could tackle the snow and stuff that you all have in those parts, but more power to you. I'd try and find a good deal on a 96-98 cobra. Good luck!