4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Should have bought a Buick. I hear they're comfy and don't require shifting. Preferred by the older generations.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I've been through a lot of forums since I was primarily posting here.... and this is one of the few forums that seems to maintain this attitude.

Now I will agree, if you were desperately concerned with fuel economy, this vintage mustang probably should not have been your first choice. However, that does not mean there is no merit in trying to maximize the efficiency of your current setup.

There is a big difference between ribbin' someone on the internet and just posting meaningless hatred. OP didn't ask what car he should have purchased. He has asked what his options are for gear swaps. Either answer the question asked, or move along.

This forum has become almost unrecognizable from its previous glory.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
I've been through a lot of forums since I was primarily posting here.... and this is one of the few forums that seems to maintain this attitude.

Now I will agree, if you were desperately concerned with fuel economy, this vintage mustang probably should not have been your first choice. However, that does not mean there is no merit in trying to maximize the efficiency of your current setup.

There is a big difference between ribbin' someone on the internet and just posting meaningless hatred. OP didn't ask what car he should have purchased. He has asked what his options are for gear swaps. Either answer the question asked, or move along.

Spot on!!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
Like I said ..do you see how Rockwell28 handled the situation??? Like I said take notes . And to clear the air I bought this bullit for 9k and it has only 37k miles ..true blue number 3096. It was a good deal and a good car that happened to have 4:10s already installed which I might add that he kept the factory gears that came with it and it came with the purchase of the car..so even if I get someone else to do it it will cost around 300 buttttt I will not I will do it myself..which will only cost me a little time..so it's more than worth it. And like I said I never race I work to hard for my money..I drive the speed limit and it's kinda funny how I drove the speed limit in my other gt and got 23mpg with factory gears. And for those smart asses on here at 54 years old I've probably spent more time working on cars then you have been alive so grow up. I'm just now coming over to the more modern stuff..that's why I said hey Ill just ask some people on the Internet for the newer cars and now you see why old people hate young people no respect. Take lessons from rockwell28 he knows what's up that long response he said use his advise. And everyone will be so much happier.
lol There are people on here that know more then you about cars no questions asked. I can name a hand full without even thinking.

And if he gave you the stock gears why did you start this thread in the first place?

Last edited by dwtjr3; 06-01-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

You said you hate the 4.10's. Is it strictly because of the MPG? You can get more mileage for sure and I know you get gears in the high 2's you'll see a significant difference. It is worth stating again that your ability to accelerate will be hampered by the lower ratio you go as the trade off.

I had a 97 V6 that the rear diff was failing so I went from I think 2.80 to 3.73 and it was a huge difference. It did make the car get off the line quicker, but RPM's were pretty high at 70+ on the highway and uncomfortable for longer distances. It could delve through snow like a madman though!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Wow - I didnt realize when I first posted that there was 6 pages, mostly of flames going back and forth. It was only after I posted did I see the other pages. I read the whole thread and while I can see the points people are trying to make, is it really necessary to be so harsh about it?

We're supposed to be nice to our elders. Let's have some g** d***ed respect for them. Especially since I officially turn into one on Monday

Yes you can flame me now you whipper snappers.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Hell, I would have dropped in gear for the noise alone. 1 3/4 headers, O/R X pipe into Dronemaster 40 series dumps = really frickin annoying driving down the freeway at 3,000rpms.

Bottom line is his reasons are his reasons. He doesn't have to justify them to anyone on this forum. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be entitled to have his question answered.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Should have bought a Buick. I hear they're comfy and don't require shifting. Preferred by the older generations.

....... No comment
Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank

Thank you and your right. You said it. What's wrong with maximizing what I have. And I refuse to drive foreign . All American
Old 06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
lol There are people on here that know more then you about cars no questions asked. I can name a hand full without even thinking.

And if he gave you the stock gears why did you start this thread in the first place?

Congrats you have a brain and can somewhat use it..who knew....

Quick Reply: 4:10 vs 3:73 vs 3:55 vs 3:27 gears