4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
I dont see the point of making a somewhat stock mustang into a really loud car, unless you have the power to back it up.
Agreed

However, I bet that 9 times out of 10, people with a catted car make more power then an offroad midpipe car on a somewhat stock vehicle. You lose power on a N/A car when you have that much flow. Having the correct amount of back pressure on a N/A motor is important to making power.
Completely disagree. Please try and refrain from posting such idiocy. People who don't know better will assume that's correct.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Ive seen peoples dyno runs tell otherwise...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Ive seen peoples dyno runs tell otherwise...
One of the biggest restrictions on a stock Mustang is the mid pipe. Don't try and tell me that you've seen people make more power with a catted mid pipe then with a O/R mid pipe.

If you really think so post up before and after dyno graphs. I bet you won't find any.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Cities have noise ordnance laws for a reason. No one wants to listen to your 'redneck cruiser" come rippin' down the street. If you think an off-road X pipe with mufflers sounds factory, you either need to stop by a dealership or have your hearing checked.

It's unfortunate when those with unsophisticated hearing wreck a perfectly good car.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
One of the biggest restrictions on a stock Mustang is the mid pipe. Don't try and tell me that you've seen people make more power with a catted mid pipe then with a O/R mid pipe.

If you really think so post up before and after dyno graphs. I bet you won't find any.
Do you have dyno graphs to prove I am wrong? My friend had his cammed, lt'd 2v and it made an extra 15hp when he did this. Unfortunetly I dont have access to those dyno runs anymore since he gave them to the guy who bought his car from him.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I actually have to agree with him. I don't have the graphs... but I've been around enough to have see power maintained with a catted midpipe compared to losses with an off road midpipe with certain Mustang applications. If correct flow didn't matter, people who don't care about being legal would just aim long tubes out the side behind the front wheel for the most gain.... or better yet flip them and run them straight up out of the hood.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You guys are smokin' something and need to stop. A catted mid pipe does not make more power than a free flowing, O/R mid pipe.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

You guys are smokin' something and need to stop. A catted mid pipe does not make more power than a free flowing, O/R mid pipe.
Im going to have to agree with wannabe
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I dont see the point of making a somewhat stock mustang into a really loud car, unless you have the power to back it up. Its like seeing a honda revving upto 9k with a fart cannon and it only going 20mph down the street. The only reason you should even have an offroad x pipe is if you actually make gains with it in power. However, I bet that 9 times out of 10, people with a catted car make more power then an offroad midpipe car on a somewhat stock vehicle. You lose power on a N/A car when you have that much flow. Having the correct amount of back pressure on a N/A motor is important to making power. Its like adding a 78mm bbk throttle body on a stock car. It will make you car bog down do to loss of vacuum.
Back pressure isn't really the right term to use since in any case of any engine it's bad, but for arguments sake sure, you need some. What you want is a smaller pipe ("backpressure") to keep up exhaust velocity to create scavenging for whatever stup you have. But this is a topic for another day. Point he's making is, cat's would probably help your low end.

Hell you guys are insane, I have just a magnaflow catback and my car is plenty loud for a DD. I have SOME respect for my neighbors and myself for that matter not wanting to hear the car loud as hell on the highway and when I just woke up in the morning for work. Personally I was going to recommend my setup or something of the like. It's quiet enough when trying to not be too loud, but loud enough when you want it to be.

If you have straight pipes and just mufflers and it's not lough enough, you need a different type of muffler plain and simple. Flowmaster 40's might make you happy. Not too expensive, give a nice rumble but quiet it down a hair so it's not insanely loud. They take the edge off if you will, so that your neighbors picture frames don't fall off the walls.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I actually have to agree with him. I don't have the graphs... but I've been around enough to have see power maintained with a catted midpipe compared to losses with an off road midpipe with certain Mustang applications. If correct flow didn't matter, people who don't care about being legal would just aim long tubes out the side behind the front wheel for the most gain.... or better yet flip them and run them straight up out of the hood.
Originally Posted by TheNameless
Im going to have to agree with wannabe
You're all right.

They all SHIFT powerbands, so it's all about how you're building the car. That being said, cats these days flow pretty damn well and really don't restrict power much if at all. High flow cats are BS too, factory stuff flows almost the same if not better in some cases.

Quick Reply: need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )