4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

need help with my straight pipes ( ANYBODY )

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

When picking the appropriate sized exhaust you're basically trying to find the sweet spot between volume and velocity.

You never want back pressure, you always want full evacuation of the combustion chamber. Otherwise with your next intake stroke, you're not bring in as much fresh air because the combustion chamber is currently being occupied with by-product. Thus lowering the engines volumetric efficiency.

Everything from your intake filter to your tail pipe plays into the mix here. When you remove restriction in your exhaust by increasing the diameter of your exhaust piping, you will be increasing volume while lowering velocity which can have a negative effect on exhaust scavenging. If the air is traveling through the system at x rate of speed but then is forced to slow down because of an improperly sized exhaust, this will promote poor scavenging.

This is why you will see people who put 3" exhaust systems on an otherwise stock cars not gain nearly the power you should with a 2.5" system. The engine is not producing enough exhaust flow to necessitate the larger pipe diameter, thus the velocity of the exhaust slows down.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
When picking the appropriate sized exhaust you're basically trying to find the sweet spot between volume and velocity.

You never want back pressure, you always want full evacuation of the combustion chamber. Otherwise with your next intake stroke, you're not bring in as much fresh air because the combustion chamber is currently being occupied with by-product. Thus lowering the engines volumetric efficiency.

Everything from your intake filter to your tail pipe plays into the mix here. When you remove restriction in your exhaust by increasing the diameter of your exhaust piping, you will be increasing volume while lowering velocity which can have a negative effect on exhaust scavenging. If the air is traveling through the system at x rate of speed but then is forced to slow down because of an improperly sized exhaust, this will promote poor scavenging.

This is why you will see people who put 3" exhaust systems on an otherwise stock cars not gain nearly the power you should with a 2.5" system. The engine is not producing enough exhaust flow to necessitate the larger pipe diameter, thus the velocity of the exhaust slows down.
Thank you, exactly what I was trying to explain haha. Exhaust has to be matched to the engine. Point of this thread though is sound haha. Don't know how/why it's about power now.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Thank you, exactly what I was trying to explain haha. Exhaust has to be matched to the engine. Point of this thread though is sound haha. Don't know how/why it's about power now.
Because straight pipes sound like clapped out pick up trucks.... So we made the discussion more interesting.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:17 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I love actual tech in threads like this.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
David Edward Thompson

i dont get on it when i come into my neighborhood i do like 5mph in 2nd
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
David Edward Thompson

also i do have mods done to my car so its not stock so thats why i have the xpipe no cats i have put blast packs on and that helped out a lot it is still loud but that stock car sound has went away and it sounds aggressive now. and my neighbors are happier since its not that stock car sound now.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

Your neighbors are happier that you car is louder? That's a great neighborhood you live in.