4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mods to do with $4000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
sneakypete_ftw!
1st Gear Member

I could understand taking out a small loan to mod a car if you want to build credit. I did it about 2 yrs ago, only took out $2k and paid it off in right at a year. It was a good opportunity for me to build my credit up and it worked.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris916
Hi, I am a new member here obviously.

I have a 2000 Mustang GT Vert Auto that is VERY clean and only has 67k original miles. I am coming across 4k to spend on my car and was wondering what you guys would suggest I get done. I am in california so anything I do has to be street legal here.

Right now all I have is the K&N intake, full billet interior, white gauges, SLP Resonators, and fuel door.

The mods I was thinking of doing are:

Trick Flow 75mm TB, Plenum, Spacer
Steeda Pulleys
KYB Shocks/Struts, H&R Springs, Front/Rear Sway Bars
4:10 Gears
Bama Tuner

And for visual:

Lightbar
Cobra R Wing
Chin Spoiler

Are there any other mods that I should be doing on an Auto Vert to increase HP while staying CA legal other than a Vortech?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.
Originally Posted by Chris916
I might have acctually $8000. I am basically getting a personal loan against the car that I am paying off within a year.

I don't want to sell the car because it was my uncles who passed away and so it has sentimental value and we are keeping it in the family.

What I have decided to do is go with a Vortech, 4.10 gears/tuner, and see what I have left after that.

Blower, converter, gears, tune will make a big difference, but dood... you need good tires and upgraded suspension to make it hook! You'll probably be in the neighborhood of 400rwhp, which is spin city unless you address the suspension & tire situation.

Of course, I'll recommend UPR suspension (we offer mf.com members a 10% discount) and if the car isn't your daily driver, DRs will be perfect.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How is it stupid to take a loan out to mod a car, if u have the money to pay it back then so be it. You only live once and as long as ur life isnt a mess where ur not in the proper state to take a loan thats one thing, but for someone who is stable and can afford it thats fine. You only live once , takin a 3 year loan out just means u can enjoy it sooner instead of waiting years to save it up, not to mention it can also be a method to building credit. Were only talking a couple thousand not 30k
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

$3-4000 is understandable. If you're going to be spending $8000 in loan money, thats starting to push it. If that were the case, I'd tell you to talk to Jazzer on here about what he is doing with his car. I believe he is starting an engine/fi package that he is planning on having emissions compliant in cali.

Here is what I would do for your car:

1. Full Length Subframe Connectors(come on guys! this many posts and no mention of these for a convertible?!)
2. Gears, 31 spline differential and 31 spline axles to hold up to future power output
3. valvebody(jmod or otherwise)
4. At least lower control arms, if not both lower and upper control arms and some suspension goodies.
5. Better than stock tires.

I'd see how those items do for you and then from there assess the need for further modification. Those modifications will go a long way. Also, i'd be careful of doing the "DIY blower kit" in cali as everything must be carb stamped, and I don't know if all the parts that you do to piece it together have the necessary documentation and markings. So the only way that I know for sure to get the blower Cali certified is to buy the kit direct from Vortech or one of their vendors. All the above mentioned things that I suggest do not interfere with Cali emissions. Also, don't buy a cobra r wing for a convertible. I've seen them...I do not approve. They look horrendous. If anything, go with a steeda wing. They look much more acceptable and they are actually functional. But also, get yourself a nice set of wheels to wrap the new rubber around. Wheels can really make a car stand out.

AND IRS SWAP FTW! had to do it! Sorry Ube! Also, here is some inspiration...

Last edited by teej281; 06-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Fffffffffffff your IRS , was gonna wait to post new pics but here is a teaser and a real stance for ya
Old 06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

What business is it of ours if any given dude wants to get a personal loan to mod his car?

It's not for you to judge what a person can and cannot get a loan for. If the guy has great credit and is never late on a bill....by all means give him whatever money the mother****er wants...and he'll pay it back with interest.

Your argument is invalid wannabe.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Now mooney...its all good. I personally would not want to take out a loan that large to modify a car. Small bits as you go along on a credit card isnt terrible, but personal loans with cars as collateral usually have a high interest rate that rivals credit cards. We're showing concern and warning him to be cautious. Thats all.

And Ube...you're car looks like its bent over waiting to take it up the butt. While thats hot to see in the bedroom...not really a fan of it on a car. LOW AND SLOW BABY! lol

Last edited by teej281; 06-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Moonshine
What business is it of ours if any given dude wants to get a personal loan to mod his car?

It's not for you to judge what a person can and cannot get a loan for. If the guy has great credit and is never late on a bill....by all means give him whatever money the mother****er wants...and he'll pay it back with interest.

Your argument is invalid wannabe.
If he can pay back an $8000 loan in under a year he should just save up for a few months and pay with money he has. I wasn't judging him and I wasn't arguing anything. I was simply stating taking a loan out to mod a car was stupid, that's it.

Originally Posted by teej281
We're showing concern and warning him to be cautious. Thats all.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I don't see a problem at all with what the op wants to do. Hell taking loans for cars and parts was one of the best things I've ever done to help build my credit up.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
........Quote not needed here........

Last edited by projectresto83; 06-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Mods to do with $4000?