4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Nitrous vs Supercharger

Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous vs Supercharger

Was looking into a supercharger system. Very expensive and a lot is needed along with the kit. Injectors, MAF, fuel management, engine management, etc...

At the same time, I was considering a nitrous wet kit. Say a 100 shot or 125 shot. Kit comes with everything, easy install. Still need a tune?

Can anyone explain (in a quick nut shell) the pros and cons to each?

I am a noob to both. But here is my thinking. Please correct me.

Supercharger: Well, I don't really know to much about them except they give good gains on low boost (8-9psi). You will be running boost at all times. Cost is outrageous compared to NO2.

Nitrous: Simple kit and simple install. The power is only there when you want it to be there. Cheap. Get wet kit for 500-600ish bucks. Include bottle heater, window switch, remote bottle opener, puts cost at 1000ish.

I know I am leaving a ton of variables out of the equation here. My main goal is more power on a budget. Also, when the punk *** kid in the ricer pulls up next to me, I just want the extra "oomph" to make sure I will not fall to a turd Civic...lol

Thanks in advance to any helpful info.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

nitrous-cheap, instant power when needed, great torque, illegal to have hooked up on the street, needs a lot of parts to make it work safely

s/c-depends on style but both you can stay out of boost if needed, more so with centrifugal, not TOO pricey when done right, but expensive compared to nitrous, great power gaines, more hp than torque on 4.6L at least

it's your choice, I have 2 roomates that went nitrous and it got old with them pretty quickly, one is going turbo possibly by the end of the year.

I considered nitrous but went s/c instead. I would only do nitrous if it was a drag/strip car personally

but do what you want...its your car! good luck
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Personally i think it depends on how far you plan on going. If you only plan on pushing into the mid hi 11s, nitrous and boltons may be the best bet for your money. If your looking for big power numbers and fast slips, i think a blower is a much simpler and easier way to go.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I've run both:

Cost of a blower set up is on par with nitrous to do it correctly and toss in a year of bottle fills. You will also need to be tuned for nitrous as well as the blower. Nitrous also needs enough fuel to match the power, so if you do go that route you'll need to make sure you have a fuel system to match your needs.

As said, you can't legally have a nitrous bottle hooked up on the street. Then again, going after that Civic on the street is also illegal.

With a blower you aren't ALWAYS in boost. It's always there to use, but you still drive in 'vacuum' most of the time. I'm sure it's just the way it's worded, but many people think that you are driving around 'in boost' all the time, when in reality you aren't.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:22 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

It already seems like you have your mind set. But like roush said you don't just strap it on. Your always gonna have the cost of filling your bottle. So it might not be for a while but depending on how long you run the nitrous it could add up
Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 PM
djoneill
1st Gear Member

Have you done gears yet (looking at you mod list)? Try 3.73 gears and maybe a good tune (maybe dyno tune), then decide whether you need a blower. LT headers might help but only add 25hp.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Do it right the first time and slap the blower on.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

After running Nitrous for not quite a year now first off install is not simple if you want to run it safely and effectively. There is a lot of wiring for the window switch, relays, wot switch, and I run mine on a double relay setup to use the shifter activation button to cut nitrous when on the 2-step, heater, and purge(especially since you are planning on remote opener. It seemed awesome at first but after some usage nitrous gets old always having to fill bottles at $40 ea, and I have to have 2 full bottles to make it through 1 day at the track. I really enjoyed it at first, but lately I have not been motivated to race at all since nitrous is becoming more hassle then it's worth. If I want to go out and play on the street I have to start heating the bottle for at least 10 minutes if it's been cool in my garage.

All in all I will be going S/C as soon as I can get the scratch saved up.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Was looking into a supercharger system. Very expensive and a lot is needed along with the kit. Injectors, MAF, fuel management, engine management, etc...

At the same time, I was considering a nitrous wet kit. Say a 100 shot or 125 shot. Kit comes with everything, easy install. Still need a tune?

Can anyone explain (in a quick nut shell) the pros and cons to each?

I am a noob to both. But here is my thinking. Please correct me.

Supercharger: Well, I don't really know to much about them except they give good gains on low boost (8-9psi). You will be running boost at all times. Cost is outrageous compared to NO2.

Nitrous: Simple kit and simple install. The power is only there when you want it to be there. Cheap. Get wet kit for 500-600ish bucks. Include bottle heater, window switch, remote bottle opener, puts cost at 1000ish.

I know I am leaving a ton of variables out of the equation here. My main goal is more power on a budget. Also, when the punk *** kid in the ricer pulls up next to me, I just want the extra "oomph" to make sure I will not fall to a turd Civic...lol

Thanks in advance to any helpful info.
The nitrous setup isn't as cut and dry as you think it is, you need to ensure your fuel system can keep up as previously stated, and with all the wiring involved I think its easier to install a supercharger honestly.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
After running Nitrous for not quite a year now first off install is not simple if you want to run it safely and effectively. There is a lot of wiring for the window switch, relays, wot switch, and I run mine on a double relay setup to use the shifter activation button to cut nitrous when on the 2-step, heater, and purge(especially since you are planning on remote opener. It seemed awesome at first but after some usage nitrous gets old always having to fill bottles at $40 ea, and I have to have 2 full bottles to make it through 1 day at the track. I really enjoyed it at first, but lately I have not been motivated to race at all since nitrous is becoming more hassle then it's worth. If I want to go out and play on the street I have to start heating the bottle for at least 10 minutes if it's been cool in my garage.

All in all I will be going S/C as soon as I can get the scratch saved up.
Didnt think I would hear you say that, youve been on nitrous for a while havent you?

And OP take a good look on here and see how many of the die hard nitrous users are switching to a blower. Talk to all of them and ask them why they are switching and see if they could do it all over again if they would just go blower instead of nitrous

CT went with a termi, killjoy went vortech,jay rod is saying he is going to go blower now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nitrous vs Supercharger