4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: Come back or stay away?
<50k mi 99-04 GT
43.75%
<50K mi Mach 1
56.25%
Keep the GTO
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Should Smitty come back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Default Should Smitty come back?

Well I started the fondness for the Mustang when I got an 04 GT 5 spd with 32k mi. Drove that till 55k mi then sold it for a 03 Mach bought with 73K mi until 86K mi. Got into an 04 M6 GTO. I sold the Mach b/c I was at the point of wanting more.

I was lucky to come across both mustangs that didn't need any work. Any money put into them was either paying off a loan or mod money. The GTO was/is a diff story. I knew the GTO quirks going forward and never thought anything of it. Before even getting this GTO I researched and found I needed to do the following:

-factory strut mounts fail- I replaced
-factory driveshaft center carrier bearings tear- I replaced with 1pc aluminum (cost double that of a FRPP mustang one yet was cheapest option)
-factory rear springs sag-I replaced (cost more than all 4 mustang lowering springs)
-did a brake job (issues with buying any used car)
-new tires (wasn't exactly expecting this but oh well)
-put in a MGW (cost double that of a mustang MGW)
-bought it with L/T's and catless mids
-gave her a dyno tune to verify previous tune (no idea who touched it)

(Keep in mind the first 3 items either don't exisit on a mustang or are never an issue)

I have the car to where it is solid and working fine. It runs good making 320/340 to the wheels. But I still miss the mustang scene...

A lot of diff reasons why.
1)Mustangs are worlds easier to work on than GTO with suspension etc.
2)Parts are VASTLY more available and EASIER to get than the GTO's and cheaper simply b/c mustangs are based out of US...GTO is Australian.
3) it's all the little things that bug me like finding a front seat motor...there are not enough seats floating around that yu can get just the motor...people will only sell whole seats or whole interiors...not to mention people hold on to these seats/interiors like they are gold. Very desired.
4) My next big purchase/repair I see coming will be a clutch...cheapest one is $450 LS7 corvette clutch and next common one is $650+. (I had a Ram HDX clutch bought and installed in the Mach for a total of maybe $500.

Again I somewhat knew this getting into the GTO but I think my eyes got a little too big because of the deal I found. And my thought that "It's a LS/GM based drivetrain...how expensive could parts be??" HA! (I haven't needed to touch ANYTHING motor wise to fix lol)

The GTO rides a lot better than either of my SRA mustangs because of it's weight and IRS. The trunk is HALF as big as a mustang but has TWICE the room in the back seat...

There are pro's and cons to each car, but I like to tinker...I'm a tinker-er...I'm really back and forth about selling the GTO for a clean low mileage GT (save money from car purchase and regular gas prices LOL) that can be cleaned up and appreciated for it's simplicty and cleanliness, or another Mach (money from selling GTO goes in full to Mach purchase)

Don't hate me, but an AWESOME DD for me would be a LS swapped 03-04 New Edge body style with 6 spd and an IRS...I guess a 99-01 Cobra with LS motor. Can't deny the LS motor with a simple cam swap.

I have a trip to Boston, MA coming up in mid July. I will keep it until then and maybe do something after I get back home.

If I went GT:
Full exhaust
tune
mayyybe cam
Coil overs and make it a nimble car

If I went Mach:
Maybe full exhaust (at least midpipe/catback)
tune
coil overs etc and make it a nimble car

(I know alot will vote for Mach because well, 4V>2V, but there is something to be said for the price of 2 cams vs 4 and the added engine bay room and overall the availability and price of 2V parts)

Last edited by smitty2919; 06-14-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

You're pretty much covered anything I'd say.

There are more parts options available for the 'stangs and they cost less.

On average working on them yourself is much easier. It's more of a tinkerer's car.

The community is very active and supportive.

I vote for the return of Smitty
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I vote with the return of another gt, only reason I don't say mach its just because they run on the same stock bottom end as a gt and I don't care to pay mach price to do the same bottom end swap as a gt.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Or u can just get an 03/04 cobra and be done, has the irs u want and will have 150 more horse than ur gto with a tune and pulley
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Told ya you're an idiot
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt04
I vote with the return of another gt, only reason I don't say mach its just because they run on the same stock bottom end as a gt and I don't care to pay mach price to do the same bottom end swap as a gt.
Very true. I'm thinking things like TB/Plenum, CAI will be cheaper for GT. All suspension stuff will be equal. Exhaust will be equal except for headers.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Or u can just get an 03/04 cobra and be done, has the irs u want and will have 150 more horse than ur gto with a tune and pulley
Yes, but it will be a DD so I'm iffy on driving a Cobra in the winter (no I will not get a beater). Not to mention, finding a sub 50k mi Cobra will add a significant amount of money to the price tag.

Ultimate goal would be to either 1) trade straight up for a GT/Mach 2) Sell GTO and buy GT/Mach for same amount 3) sell GTO and buy a GT/Mach and actually pockey some money off the price difference.

BUT the IRS and 6spd would be nice...for 1 a clutch change would be easier lol
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Told ya you're an idiot
You don't even own a V8 car anymore so shut it!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
You don't even own a V8 car anymore so shut it!
OOOOOHHH BURRRN!

Rob has v8 envy.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

I would vote Mach but not as a DD if you have ice and snow to deal with.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Very true. I'm thinking things like TB/Plenum, CAI will be cheaper for GT. All suspension stuff will be equal. Exhaust will be equal except for headers.

Yes, but it will be a DD so I'm iffy on driving a Cobra in the winter (no I will not get a beater). Not to mention, finding a sub 50k mi Cobra will add a significant amount of money to the price tag.

Ultimate goal would be to either 1) trade straight up for a GT/Mach 2) Sell GTO and buy GT/Mach for same amount 3) sell GTO and buy a GT/Mach and actually pockey some money off the price difference.

BUT the IRS and 6spd would be nice...for 1 a clutch change would be easier lol
A cobra isnt any more iffy that driving a gt or mach in winter , just dont drive like an idiot in the snow.

Quick Reply: Should Smitty come back?