4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Question about sparkplug and C.O.P

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about sparkplug and C.O.P

Hey guys so last night my car started to misfire ( i was getting on my car a bit and the temp was around high 80's)..wtf. I replaced the plugs about 8 months ago and now im wondering if I have a bad COP. The car hesitates alot when driving like its not getting the full spark. My question is I have been reading and people that have had bad COP's said that their CEL never came on but mine did..so whats the deal?. Im going to Autozone tomorrow to get the to scan my computer in the car to make sure it is a misfire before I buy new COPs...If i do have to go with new COP's would this (http://www.americanmuscle.com/msd-so...plug-9904.html) its the MSD Blaster COP, be the best one?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

i have those and i like them, no difference in hp but it did feel like it was running a little fresher..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheNameless
Hey guys so last night my car started to misfire ( i was getting on my car a bit and the temp was around high 80's)..wtf. I replaced the plugs about 8 months ago and now im wondering if I have a bad COP. The car hesitates alot when driving like its not getting the full spark. My question is I have been reading and people that have had bad COP's said that their CEL never came on but mine did..so whats the deal?. Im going to Autozone tomorrow to get the to scan my computer in the car to make sure it is a misfire before I buy new COPs...If i do have to go with new COP's would this (http://www.americanmuscle.com/msd-so...plug-9904.html) its the MSD Blaster COP, be the best one?
TheNameless,

Sounds like you have the problem narrowed down. I agree that if your spark plug are good, that its most likely your Coils.

That MSD set up you are interested is great! It wont give you much more power but it will indeed fix your problem. They also give the car a much smoother feel!

I hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any further questions!

- Dan
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

If you have coil issues go back with factory ones most aftermarket ones will give you issues down the road
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
If you have coil issues go back with factory ones most aftermarket ones will give you issues down the road
^ +1 indeed