4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Off road xpipe wavier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Commies.

Not really. Just enforcing the law... it's their job and we pay them to do it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Commies.
Lol, its not the police that are the commies, its the legislators!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How many miles you put on your car a year? In PA my cars except from emissions.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
^^ Could, but in Texas they like to do random roadside stops to check for current inspection tags and they set up sniffer checks to keep you on your toes. Not worth the trouble.
I agree, all my buddies ask why I don't tint my lights and front windows and I tell them it's just not worth the hassle of getting pulled over. I'm also all about the emissions stuff. There is really no reason to not have it, it doesn't really hurt power, although I did lose an engine on my old car because it sucked up a cat that crumbled... that pissed me off.

But damn that sounds excessive, it's almost an invasion of privacy to have random pullovers like that. I bet they target sports cars... so random my *** haha. I really wish they would spend time on the real bad guys, and stop giving good people a hard time for something like this. Hell cars from the 60's and earlier created way more emissions than a new car without emissions devices. New cars just run so much better and stay in tune unlike the older ones, so even without cats and all that jazz they aren't as bad. For the amount of people that run around or would run around catless, it will hardly make an impact. 99% of people on the road would have cats and id say half of the 1% that wouldn't have cats, are only weekend street/strip cars not DD. So IMO it's just a way for them to make money, it's not about the environment.

OP - I personally wouldn't bother with an off road pipe, not worth the trouble or hassle you'll have to go through. I get compliments on how good my car sounds all the time. People ask what I have done and the answer is factory cats. They muffle rasp and give the car a nice deep tone. I say stick with FACTORY cat's (aftermarkt ones don't last as long and can fall apart). If they ever crumbled the mustang would blow them out the exhaust, very few cars create a vacuum effect and would suck them up like my old car did.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
^^ Could, but in Texas they like to do random roadside stops to check for current inspection tags and they set up sniffer checks to keep you on your toes. Not worth the trouble.
We have similar things out here in CA, road-side smog tests. They claim it is 'random' but you never see Camry's, stock Hondas, etc...getting pulled over. Always raised trucks or dualies, muscle cars, imports, ricers, etc... You can refuse the test, but then they usually like to send you a notice in the mail that you car was reported as a 'smoker' and you need to smog it.