4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Would I be making a $ mistake or do OK

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 AM
jonrjen

Default Would I be making a $ mistake or do OK

I am about ready to let some cash loose on a 1999 Mustang GT convertible. It is one of the 35th Anniversary Limited Edition models. I had purchased one new off of the transport truck back in 99, but years later it was burnt to the ground. But, I always liked that car, as did she. Hers was a silver convertible, automatic.

This is a white (which was the lowest color number producted) with a maunal transmission. Currently has 23,000 miles on it. Comes with all the Ford promo items that owners of record were sent when originally purchased. The history of the car owners were all older gentlemen who appreciated the 35th Anniversary Edition for simply being a limited release from Ford.
It will need new tires all the way around, not from wear but from age as the original tires are still on the car

I am not looking for raw ground pounding power, a drag car or such, and I am aware that this would not fit that want. I am looking for a take it out and drive it on nice days, cruise the back roads, introduce the grand kids to Mustang motoring. And have something that makes me smile when I drive it

Negotiated price is at $10,500. Which by book value for a Mustang GT would be high. NADA for the 35th Anniversary Edition is in line, but NADA seens to price high many times.
However if searching the open market a good to excellent conditon 119-2004 GT convertible with 23,000 miles the price seems like it is not out of line.

And I know there will be those who will say that the 35th ALE is only a GT with some pretty added to the car. Well, yea that is true, it is still a GT at heart.

Give me your thoughts...please
Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Seems high to me for a limited production GT. You could get a cobra for the same price. Also limited production.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 AM
jonrjen

From what I understand that there could be an issue with the intake manifolds on the 1999 model year. Should I take this into account with my decission as to purchase this car? What are the options should the manifold need to be replaced in the future..Ford parts counter....aftermarket? Please feel free to educate me, I would appreciate your knowledge sharing.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jonrjen
From what I understand that there could be an issue with the intake manifolds on the 1999 model year. Should I take this into account with my decission as to purchase this car? What are the options should the manifold need to be replaced in the future..Ford parts counter....aftermarket? Please feel free to educate me, I would appreciate your knowledge sharing.
In my opinion a car with that low of mileage and the fact that its a special addition is worth that money. This is assuming the car is minttt no scratches or marks of any kind. Is try to get him to 10k since the tires are shot. Buy I think that's pretty fair. Yes that is getting near mach and cobra territory, but it definitely won't how that mileage.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Short answer. No. My 00 has that same manifold and has 86k and has been fine. It will break at some point yes, but its not as horrible as some people make it out to be. When it does break you can get an 01 and up replacement with an aluminum crossover for 200 bucks and you're good. Every car has its issues and that is one for the 99 00 and early 01 stang.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

I paid $9k last fall for my '97 Cobra with 50k miles on it last fall and I think that I got a great deal on it. The dealership had it for sale for $13,500. I got it cheap at the end of summer. The dealership didn't want to get stuck with it until spring.

So I don't think that it is a bad deal that you are looking at. The low mileage adds a lot to the value in my mind. Being garage kept adds even more to the value. The price of Mustangs in the $10k range and down is relative.
If you found a mid 90's Mustang in the same condition it might sell for the same price.

My personal opinion is that you were quoted a reasonable price for that Mustang, grab it before someone else does.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

are yous sure? i know they had the problem in 1996, mine was replaced, i didnt think they did in 1999
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
jonrjen

Originally Posted by djd2392
are yous sure? i know they had the problem in 1996, mine was replaced, i didnt think they did in 1999
From what I recall and can locate via the web the manifold problem when through part of the 2001 model year run.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
jonrjen

Negotiations broke off. We were on face value $200 apart. I was firm at $10,500 which was a number I felt we had come to a meeting point on. Seller then went to $10,700 plus the TT&L.
Texas vehicle sales tax is based off of the Texas average sales value...presumptive value on a used vehicle if purchased from an individual. I purchased from a dealer, you are taxed on the actual sales price. Which in this case I would have been charged twice the Texas presumptive tax rate due to the dealer selling price vs Texas valuation.

Then I figured I was looking at another $6oo+ in tires, travel to go take deliver of the car 300 miles away, basic maintance needed to replace hoses, belts, flush cooling system and such would have cost roughly $1,100. (including tires). Then the need to replace the intake manifold before it cracked in a non convient location and time would be an additional $1,000 at a dealership or $400 DIY.

My figures would have put the total cost around $14,200+ So I will keep my eyes open and see what is around the next turn. Seems like the good deals will always show up if you just stop looking hard for one. Wish me luck!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

From what I recall and can locate via the web the manifold problem when through part of the 2001 model year run.
That was when they had the all plastic manifold and then in late 01(I think) they swapped over to the metal front crossover tube. My 01 has the all plastic manifold and I haven't had a problem with it.

Quick Reply: Would I be making a $ mistake or do OK