4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:06 AM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Default What else should I do?

As of right now, I'm at a stop in my build and I don't know what else to do nor I know if I want to do anything else. I'm lowering my car soon, but I have to wait till I have a completely free day to install everything.

So, what I had in mind was a tuner, the sequential taillight relay thing that makes it slower, and an 03 Cobra spoiler in the future. I really don't want to spend too much money on power upgrades. Any recommendations? Thanks MF!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Bolting on appearance related stuff is not what I think of as a "build" (for instance the "style" bar just adds weight, and the JLT intake does nothing at all same as the catback)...

You need to open up the exhaust from the manifolds back, 2-1/2" ID (catted or "off road" it doesn't matter from a performance perspective), then get a tune/tuner to get rid of the pathetic stock 87 octane tune (ho-hum spark advance and pig-rich at WOT). If you have the pink 21 lb/h injectors you will be OK, if you have the orange 19 lb/h injectors then you should get a set of the 21s or see if you can find some FRPP EV6 Jetronic connector 24s...

Next consider lower (higher numerically) rear-end gears, and an aftermarket upper plenum and 70 mm TB as the stock plenum and TB are costing you quite a bit of mid-range power and 5-7 rwHP peak--plus with all of that and a decent tune the engine will pull quite strongly right up to the rev-limiter instead of falling on its face at 5500 rpm.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Gears, motor, forced induction
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you are looking to step it up in the looks department, a Steeda wing on the back of that thing would look sharp.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Do you have a mod-list of your current upgrades/changes?
Have you done anything with your brakes?
Have you done anything with your suspension?
Do your tires suite your needs as a driver?

Jazzer says purrty car
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Do you have a mod-list of your current upgrades/changes?
Have you done anything with your brakes?
Have you done anything with your suspension?
Do your tires suite your needs as a driver?

Jazzer says purrty car
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Jazzer, I have drilled and slotted rotors up front, but that's all for brakes. I'm installing some MM camber plates, Tokico struts/shocks all around, and H&R super sport springs as well. The tires that I have now are great.

I really haven't done anything performance wise except a JLT CIA and a different catback. I'm looking to get a tuner soon, and a catted X pipe. This is my daily driver, and I don't want to over do it yet.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the best mod i have done to any of my vehicles was nice set of seats. great for spirited driving and comfy!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I'm sorry, but I see no "build" here to be stopped.

What are you goals for the car? I take it spirited DD?

I wouldn't have wasted my money on slotted rotors. I would have gone with bigger calipers and rotors like a cobra/mach1/bullitt swap. Potentially something more aggressive depending on your goals for the car.

What kind of Tokico struts/shocks are you going with? I highly recommend the d-specs for your needs.

Why not go for coil-overs if you want the car to handle better? (Cough cough) IRS SWAP (Cough Cough) better ride for a DD. "It's cheaper to do it right the first time."

CAI isn't really a "performance" mod, more of an appearance mod. The tune and gears would be a good start for "performance" mods. Your best bet for a real build would be some sort of power adder or engine swap. Gears won't hurt you MPG.

Last edited by tdcalhoun89; 07-23-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Bladerunner;8003965] .QUOTE]

Just stop with your bull**** already, you have no idea what you're talking about and need to quit giving false information to people. Ask anyone who actually has gears in their car about how their mileage is since installing them. The mileage claims you keep making are absolute bull****. When i was running 4.10s with my vortec and my procharger with over 400rwhp i was still getting in the low 20s and i am still getting the same with my kb and 3.73s. Just stop already troll.

Last edited by uberstang1; 07-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I'm sorry, but I see no "build" here to be stopped.

What are you goals for the car? I take it spirited DD?

I wouldn't have wasted my money on slotted rotors. I would have gone with bigger calipers and rotors like a cobra/mach1/bullitt swap. Potentially something more aggressive depending on your goals for the car.

What kind of Tokico struts/shocks are you going with? I highly recommend the d-specs for your needs.

Why not go for coil-overs if you want the car to handle better? (Cough cough) IRS SWAP (Cough Cough) better ride for a DD. "It's cheaper to do it right the first time."

CAI isn't really a "performance" mod, more of an appearance mod. The tune and gears would be a good start for "performance" mods. Your best bet for a real build would be some sort of power adder or engine swap. Gears won't hurt you MPG.
Like I previously said, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money right now on performance parts. I'd rather not worry at the moment about upgrading my brakes or putting on coilovers/IRS swap. You really don't understand my intentions, yet you, and most of you think I'm trying to build a racecar here.

I appreciate your guys opinions and recommendations.