4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MGW..!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Default MGW..!

I finally installed my MGW shifter after having had it for a while. Took the opportunity change the trans fluid at the same time. When this thing breaks it its gonna be sweet! I love it now, a few hundered miles and it will be all the sweeter!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are the part that "breaks in", the shifter will loosen up a tiny bit but mostly it is your getting used to no longer dealing with the stock monkey motion shifter...

The MGW shifter, and getting rid of the stock plastic clutch quadrant, would be the first things I would do if I were to get another New-Edge...

Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I love my MGW and the shift **** I have for it after 10,000 miles, and probably will stay in love with it for as long as I have it. You made a great choice of shifter, well worth the extra coin in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You are the part that "breaks in", the shifter will loosen up a tiny bit but mostly it is your getting used to no longer dealing with the stock monkey motion shifter...

The MGW shifter, and getting rid of the stock plastic clutch quadrant, would be the first things I would do if I were to get another New-Edge...

Well, either way, I wish I had installed it sooner! Makes a huge difference. I still have the stock quadrant. Does it make a huge difference? Can one keep the original clutch cable with that?

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I love my MGW and the shift **** I have for it after 10,000 miles, and probably will stay in love with it for as long as I have it. You made a great choice of shifter, well worth the extra coin in my opinion.
Im using a ford racing shift **** with mine. I read how much difference the shifter made, but until you experience the difference words mean nothing. The stock shifter may as well be a rubber band. I also used the CobraBob gasket, the thick one, and I have notoced no appreciable increase in noise or harshness.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I installed UPR's triple hook quadrant and quick-click adjuster, using the stock cable, over 5 years ago. I have never once regretted the decision...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm, Perhaps I should add these to the list after wheels and tires. Any difference in clutch feel or is this just a reliability modification?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Night and day difference, much more precise action as the aluminum quadrant does not flex like the plastic...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I had a feeling you were gonna say something about flex. Makes alot of sense, considering the forces involved, that the plastic would flex ALOT, and aluminum would not.

Last edited by stevednmc; 08-14-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I don't have the same quadrant and adjuster as Cliff, however I do have a them, and they do make a GIANT difference in engagement and consistency...as well as (at least in my application) made engagement smoother,
Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stevednmc
I had a feeling you were gonna say something about flex. Makes alot of sense, considering the forces involved, that the plastic would flex ALOT, and aluminum would not.
The maximum tension on the cable is 150 lbs or so, more than enough to make the plastic stuff deflect quite a bit,,,

Quick Reply: MGW..!