4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cant find shorty tuned headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

Default Cant find shorty tuned headers?

I can only find the CHROME shorty tuned headers from BBK, i do not want chrome. I would like to have stainless or ceramic shorty tuned but i cant find any. Do they make Tuned shorty's for our car that is not Chrome?.....and dont even say get Lt's, I have EPA Bull hockey to deal with.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

what epa stuff do you have to deal with in ohio?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

Emissions test..im assuming they dont make shorty tuned headers in anything but chrome?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

guess it must be county specific. first place i looked i found the headers >american muscle<
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

I know you said to not mention longtubes but you have me scratching my head. Do they fail you up there if they notice you have longtubes? The emissions in my area is strict as heck, I passed with SLP longtubes and high-flo catted x-pipe. Do "tuned" shorties yield more than the minimal power gain than regular ones do? Sorry for answering your question with two questions, lol. Hope you find your answer from someone obviously more knowledgable than myself.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

well 3 reasons i dont want to go longtubes is because of emissions and i have an automatic (fitment becomes and issue). and i when i bought the car in May the guy already had bought o/r X pipe so im gonna buy high flows and put them on the X. Tuned shorties are basically all the pipes on the header are equal length, making it easier for exhaust to leave the car. so yes they are better then just normal ones.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

thanks for that link for the ceramics i really dont know how missed those lol i swear i searched everywhere.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Knechtion
well 3 reasons i dont want to go longtubes is because of emissions and i have an automatic (fitment becomes and issue). and i when i bought the car in May the guy already had bought o/r X pipe so im gonna buy high flows and put them on the X. Tuned shorties are basically all the pipes on the header are equal length, making it easier for exhaust to leave the car. so yes they are better then just normal ones.
Not all "shorties" have equal length tubes, in fact most do not, and even for those that do they are far too short. Engines like ours need tubes to be at least 30" with 33" to 34" or so being optimal for a street engine (more about headers here).

With no intent to make insult shorties are mostly placebo and eyewash, don;t expect any spectacular or even noticeable gain. The exhaust note will change making it seem as though they are doing something, but do some before and after dyno runs and what you will find is only that the top end (5500 rpm and up) has flattened some.

That said, if you want them go for it...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM
fedfireman
2nd Gear Member

Why would you ditch chrome for SS or ceramic? I could understand ceramic, but stainless is no better than chrome. And header wrap would keep chrome and SS temps down. IMHO ceramic is only worth the extra money if you plan on showing your car.

But I have heard some states will instafail you on the visual inspection for LT's.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Actually stainless ceramic coated (real ceramic like Jet Hot, not some rattle can crap) would be the best. Chromed (and coated) pipes are usually mild steel which has much higher thermal conductivity than stainless--up to 4 to 5 times less.

This keeps underhood temps down, and more importantly keeps exhaust gas temperatures up so that they flow better...

Quick Reply: Cant find shorty tuned headers?