4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

97 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 AM
I love my stang

Default 97 Mustang GT

Hey guys I have a 97' GT and I had a few questions. My buddy has a 2002 Acura 3.2cl and I have my Mustang. His HP is around 225 and about 250 ft/lb my car has 215 HP and and around 290 ft/lb (Without the recent mods). I always have him off the line but he always seems to slowly creep up hence the wight of his car. I have just recently put on a CAI from americanmuscle.com and I have some pretty fat tires (285/35) will all this be enough to keep him off me once we get to the higher speeds? If not what can , I have been looking a BAMA Performance tune and a few other things. But I want to hear from you guys what mod can I get to keep the lead I have for a somewhat moddest price. I would to hear from you guys.

THANKS !
Old 08-26-2012, 10:25 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

You coukd go a million different ways with this. Being you have fatties on the back. A set of gears would most def. Change the game. However be careful of your traction. Why the tires should help. Ring and pinion kit is relatively cheap however you will have to have them installed by a pro. A larger throttle body would give you some more umph as well as you tune. But id say tbody and gears would keep ya ahead
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The weight is about the same, Edmunds says 3470 curb weight for the Acura and you car is in that same ballpark.

Open up the exhaust, that will let it flow better at higher rpms, lower rear-end gears will help, and then get that tune/tuner as the stock tune is a long way from optimal.

There is not much you can do to the intake that will make a big difference as the non-PI heads just don't breath that well...
Old 08-26-2012, 06:52 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Now that he mentioned weight, look into shedding a few pounds before race day. Empty your windshield washer fluid, instead of a full tank of gas, try 1/2 or 1/4 as long as your not sucking air from sloshing. spare tire, extra passenger, etc etc. Be good to practice this before you run because anytime you lose weight in the rear, you can loose your ability to hook. If you do all that and no problems, keep looking.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Sadly 97 GT with full bolt ons is still sub 200 rear wheel horsepower, its going to be very hard to compete against newer cars, even grocery getters.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I love my stang
Hey guys I have a 97' GT and I had a few questions. My buddy has a 2002 Acura 3.2cl and I have my Mustang. His HP is around 225 and about 250 ft/lb my car has 215 HP and and around 290 ft/lb (Without the recent mods). I always have him off the line but he always seems to slowly creep up hence the wight of his car. I have just recently put on a CAI from americanmuscle.com and I have some pretty fat tires (285/35) will all this be enough to keep him off me once we get to the higher speeds? If not what can , I have been looking a BAMA Performance tune and a few other things. But I want to hear from you guys what mod can I get to keep the lead I have for a somewhat moddest price. I would to hear from you guys.

THANKS !
If you are getting him off the line and hes running you down, it sounds like you need to get off the line harder and hold him off up top! I would definitely recommend Exhaust, Gears and a Tune to start. That will get you off the line a lot harder, free up your exhaust flow and let the ECU know whats going on! A diet for your Stang may not be a bad idea either. You could go with a Rear seat delete or Light weight driveshaft!

New gear's is huge for any Mustang's acceleration. Put a set of 4.10's in the back and you'll have a huge smile on your face, every time you hit the gas pedal! Aftermarket gear's will throw off your speedo, but you can easily fix this a few different ways. A Bama SF3 tuner will adjust your PCM tables for the aftermarket mods, giving you a safer, healthier running engine. Plus you'll pick up some hp/tq throughout the power band, and be enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program.

This is just a few suggestions, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your business and loyalty.

- Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 08-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by I love my stang

THANKS !
I love my stang,

Looks like Dan beat me to it!

These two upgrades should keep you in front of your friend's Acura (unless he adds mods)! If you have any questions just let me know!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 08-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
If you are getting him off the line and hes running you down, it sounds like you need to get off the line harder and hold him off up top! I would definitely recommend Exhaust, Gears and a Tune to start. That will get you off the line a lot harder, free up your exhaust flow and let the ECU know whats going on! A diet for your Stang may not be a bad idea either. You could go with a Rear seat delete or Light weight driveshaft!

New gear's is huge for any Mustang's acceleration. Put a set of 4.10's in the back and you'll have a huge smile on your face, every time you hit the gas pedal! Aftermarket gear's will throw off your speedo, but you can easily fix this a few different ways. A Bama SF3 tuner will adjust your PCM tables for the aftermarket mods, giving you a safer, healthier running engine. Plus you'll pick up some hp/tq throughout the power band, and be enrolled into our Free Tunes for Life program. With a Bama custom tune we can correct your speedo for any size tire and rear gear selection, so that solves the speedo problem!

This is just a few suggestions, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your business and loyalty.

- Dan
For the record a handheld tuner WILL NOT be able to fix the speedometer on a 1997. You need either plastic speedo gear or a speedcal from dallas mustang or ford racing. Tuners cant adjust speedos on a 97.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uberstang1
For the record a handheld tuner WILL NOT be able to fix the speedometer on a 1997. You need either plastic speedo gear or a speedcal from dallas mustang or ford racing. Tuners cant adjust speedos on a 97.

uberstang1,

Your 100% correct. We can only adjust for gears in 99+, I'm sorry about the confusion. I would recommend the FRPP recalibration tool. The Ford Racing Speedometer Recalibration Tool scales a frequency based on the vehicle speed signal up/down to maintain accurate speed indication to the speedometer and to the PCM.

Uberstang thanks for picking that up!

- Dan
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The "universal" model of this little $70 puppy will work too, I have used it on bikes (where speedometers always read fast) and cars, and trucks.

The universal model has four wire hook-up like the Dallas Mustang SpeedCal and the FRPP device--if you have a bike they probably have a Plug 'n Play model. It is in a sealed heavy vinyl pouch and takes up almost zero space...

Quick Reply: 97 Mustang GT