4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Getting Stroked and Forged

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default Getting Stroked and Forged

So my car broke on Fathers day and has been just setting in the garage until I figured out what I was going to do with it.
I just spent all winter putting thousands of $ into this damn car. I bought some used B heads with Crower stage 2 cams and had a local shop put degree and do the timing chains for me. And I think that is what is broken on the car. So I told myself I'm never paying a shop to do work again signed up for some College Automotive classes and will be rebuilding the engine myself in class.
The plan is to order a Forged/Stroker kit from MMR. Keeping it high compression N/A build. Why? because I F'n want to
So here is the car on the trailer heading to class. hopefully the last time for a broken part. updates to follow
Name:  2012-08-30_11-03-34_13.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  128.9 KB
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

question, why go with a stroker? besides the obvious torque gains, strokers dont gain much on the hp scale. not downing a stroker mod motor, i have a stroker crank and rods waiting for a home sitting on a shelf. btw, glad to see youre doing the work yourself!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by school boy
question, why go with a stroker? besides the obvious torque gains, strokers dont gain much on the hp scale. not downing a stroker mod motor, i have a stroker crank and rods waiting for a home sitting on a shelf. btw, glad to see youre doing the work yourself!
Strokers are a HUGE upgrade amd advantage for a car with B heads, as they have a deficit when it comes to torque to begine with and the stroker shoudl add a good chunk for 40ish rear wheel horse, Im stoaked to see how this build goes Bramas and unlike alot of build threads that come and go on the forum I know for sure this ones actually going to be seen through. My buddy is a mechanic down dorrance auto where I'm from, he did a b head NA build. Ran a stage 2 comp cam setup for his b head, and kept stock displacement but when all forged and 12:1 compression, still awaiting numbers on it.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Strokers are a HUGE upgrade amd advantage for a car with B heads, as they have a deficit when it comes to torque to begine with and the stroker shoudl add a good chunk for 40ish rear wheel horse, Im stoaked to see how this build goes Bramas and unlike alot of build threads that come and go on the forum I know for sure this ones actually going to be seen through. My buddy is a mechanic down dorrance auto where I'm from, he did a b head NA build. Ran a stage 2 comp cam setup for his b head, and kept stock displacement but when all forged and 12:1 compression, still awaiting numbers on it.
good to know uber! i guess i was thinking in a 2v since but get what youre saying.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by school boy
good to know uber! i guess i was thinking in a 2v since but get what youre saying.
The b heads lack torque, due to a flaw from the factory which they attempted to fix with those POS IMRCs which end up getting delelted anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Yes like Keith said I'm worried about TQ. and for what I use my car for I need all the help I can get on the low end because right now it feels like a big constipated turd coming out of a corner
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i understand that. good luck on getting this built!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by BraMas
Yes like Keith said I'm worried about TQ. and for what I use my car for I need all the help I can get on the low end because right now it feels like a big constipated turd coming out of a corner
Tird with 4.30s, bunn'y is dissapoint.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

GL Bramas.I hope things go well.I'm not too mechanically inclined but I do as much of my own work as I can.It feels good to tell people you did it yourself.I guess it's a pride thing.Anyways as I said before,I hope things go well for you.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Come drive my bone stock NPI GT before you call that thing a turd lol

Quick Reply: Getting Stroked and Forged