4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

97 4.6l or 01 3.8l?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Mustang Momma

Default 97 4.6l or 01 3.8l?

Looking at buyin either a 97 GT 4.6l auto with 136k miles, windshield has a crack steering wheel is cracked from airbag deployment an somethin wrong with brake/rotor area makes noise they say lol has rebuilt title but looks good. Then the other is a 01 3.8l auto with 164k miles needs bearings. Which would be better to buy in the long run? Also they both have dual exhaust pipes which is a plus lol. Opinions on each would be greatly appreciated! [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Mustang Momma; 09-28-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

just my opinion, but dont rush into a car just to get one. Getting a car is a HUGE deal honestly, but im sure you know that. These cars have alot of miles on them, and if you dont have a warranty and something goes... well, youre SOL. Just choose wisely... If it was me, i would just keep saving and saving until a better deal rolls around, there's always mustangs going left and right. just my opinion though, good luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'd avoid both. Neither look like they are in good shape or well taken care of. Amount of miles is about right for cars of those years. High miles is nothing, as long as the car is taken care of.

The GT is going to have issues. If it was hit/crashed, they didn't do a good job of putting it back together - and who knows what issues might show up soon.

The V6 looks better. Bearings are easy to do, BUT based on the mods (Groofy tail lights and a rear skirt section of the body kit) I'd assume it's been treated like a car from the Fast and the Furious. It will most likely have hidden issues as well.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

id avoid both there are better cars to be had and go with a newer v6 save u time and gas at that
Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

In the long run? Neither.. If you want something to wrench on and enjoy then the 4.6 by far... If you want a reliable daily, don't buy either one and keep looking.. And if you did buy either of those, I woudn't pay a dime over 2K for any one.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Keep looking..
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Mustang Momma

I know i shouldnt rush into buying a vehicle an i have considered all possibilities of something being wrong with each that u cant see in pics an so on. But i need another vehicle an 2500 is the most i can give for one an i didnt plan on giving no more than 2000 for either i already know i can get the 01 for that! An as far as saving goes thats not really happening right now the way the business is im working for times are slow an hard to save! Im a single mom of 2! :/
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If I HAD to take one of those two, I'd take the V6. But you're right, nothing more than $2000 for it.
First thing I'd do it take off that rear skirt, the fender trim and find some stock/street legal tail lights.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Momma
I know i shouldnt rush into buying a vehicle an i have considered all possibilities of something being wrong with each that u cant see in pics an so on. But i need another vehicle an 2500 is the most i can give for one an i didnt plan on giving no more than 2000 for either i already know i can get the 01 for that! An as far as saving goes thats not really happening right now the way the business is im working for times are slow an hard to save! Im a single mom of 2! :/
Don't take this the wrong way but if money is that tight and you need another car why don't you get something reliable. I know if I were in that situation I would not care about anything other than reliability and gas mileage. I would be looking at well maintained Hondas and Toyotas. Something I know is cheap and reliable. That's my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Don't take this the wrong way but if money is that tight and you need another car why don't you get something reliable. I know if I were in that situation I would not care about anything other than reliability and gas mileage. I would be looking at well maintained Hondas and Toyotas. Something I know is cheap and reliable. That's my 2 cents.
This.

I would not depend on either of those cars to be my daily driver. If it was a project it would be a different issue. Look for something more reliable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 4.6l or 01 3.8l?