4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Thinking about this for exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default Thinking about this for exhaust..

Getting Kooks 1 5/8" LT headers and 2 1/2" catted X with a borla ATAK catback for an '03 GT. With that being said, is there any pro's cons to going with a kooks setup vs a different brand?

also, 1 5/8" vs 1 3/4" LT's... which is better and why?

Does Kooks sell a 3" catted X setup?

Borla ATAK vs Stingers... (reason i say this is because i have a Borla Atak catback on my '10 GT and it sounds amazing!). Just want to see what you guys think about stingers. Anyways i think this would sound pretty badass, and loud!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Kooks is a great header.. pricey but great... As for the 1 3/4 vs the 1 5/8.. depends on your future plans.. You'll lose a bit more down low with the 1 3/4 but gain a bit more up top.. And if your plans include big mods in the future (FI, stroker, high compression, etc..) you will want the 1 3/4s to maximize gains.. For basic to mild bolt-ons, the 1 5/8 will suit you fine.

And well, you know my opinion on Borla exhausts :P ha
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Kooks is a great header.. pricey but great... As for the 1 3/4 vs the 1 5/8.. depends on your future plans.. You'll lose a bit more down low with the 1 3/4 but gain a bit more up top.. And if your plans include big mods in the future (FI, stroker, high compression, etc..) you will want the 1 3/4s to maximize gains.. For basic to mild bolt-ons, the 1 5/8 will suit you fine.

And well, you know my opinion on Borla exhausts :P ha
haha yeah, im planning to go FI in the future (3 years or so) but i dont want to lose power down low....hmm
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You're going to lose a little but down low regardless with LTs... It's not much but it's there, usually below 2500 rpms is where it's hit the hardest on an N/A vehicle.. I still recommened LTs over shorties though because of the strong gain from 3500+..
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

You're going to lose a little but down low regardless with LTs... It's not much but it's there, usually below 2500 rpms is where it's hit the hardest on an N/A vehicle.. I still recommened LTs over shorties though because of the strong gain from 3500+..
but the hp and tq gained with LTs and full exhaust, wouldnt that overpower the loss of going with LT's? hard to explain what im trying to ask
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I hear what you're saying.. A more open exhaust like that will experience loss regardless though. Torque is lost when the air flows out that easily and quick.. In an FI application, an open exhaust is better.. In an N/A it will have some loss down low, but with LTs and a full exhaust and tune you'll see gains of 10+ wheel probably.

Simple way to say it, on a 2V that doesn't have much else done it's not going to be huge.. It's potential for the future though.. If you go FI you will see the biggest gains with LTs.. For example, a cammed 2V could see a gain of 20+ wheel from stock to LTs
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Right now, the most restricted part on your car is from the headers back.. and the heads themselves, those heads do not flow at all...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Right now, the most restricted part on your car is from the headers back.. and the heads themselves, those heads do not flow at all...
I cant really find 1 3/4" anywhere from Kooks. I know ARH is supposed to be a real solid name, got any input on those?

also, have any input on some good cams for a supercharged setup? can i run those cams before i go FI?

sorry for alot of questions but its all helping
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

ARH is another awesome brand..

As far as cams, I'm not very knowledgeable on 2V cams.. However, in general, you can run a blower cam on N/A and vice-versa but you wont see the best gains with that kind of grind being used on something it's not made for.. For example, people love hot-rod cams on the 3V. I don't like them, they sound great and produce decent power on an N/A.. But applied to a FI setup there's nearly no gain at all other than sound..

One brand I like are comp cams.. I've seen people use 262 cams on the 2V with other mods as well make 300rwhp N/A..
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

ARH is another awesome brand..

As far as cams, I'm not very knowledgeable on 2V cams.. However, in general, you can run a blower cam on N/A and vice-versa but you wont see the best gains with that kind of grind being used on something it's not made for.. For example, people love hot-rod cams on the 3V. I don't like them, they sound great and produce decent power on an N/A.. But applied to a FI setup there's nearly no gain at all other than sound..

One brand I like are comp cams.. I've seen people use 262 cams on the 2V with other mods as well make 300rwhp N/A..
do you do most of your purchases through AM? because they dont have too many cams to pick from, actually alot of sites dont have too many to pick from... I find that kind of weird

Quick Reply: Thinking about this for exhaust..