4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Not too happy... *Carnage inside*

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
I didn't over rev the car 4500 rpm is not over revved. I know for a fact that's the rpm it broke at, I was staring at the tach. This had to be a factory defect.

Yup. There is a reason I kept my stock rev limiter on my car. This spring broke, I have a very basic bolt on motor, no cams, headers, hell even my h pipe is stock. There is no reason this should happen to a stock engine.
You're right, there is no reason for that. It's a flaw from the factory, sucks that you drew the short straw.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
GrimReaper_03vert

Made on a Monday
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
You're right, there is no reason for that. It's a flaw from the factory, sucks that you drew the short straw.
Pretty much. Ask anyone I know, I have the worst luck with cars. I can buy a brand new car and it will somehow blow up and not be under warranty. I don't really rip on my cars too hard and I take very good care of them. I bought a car one time and it developed a rod knock within the first 30 miles of my driving it.

Either way life could be way worse so I'm just going to roll with it. **** happens. She's going to get put back together and you can bet your *** she won't be stock anymore. Once I get everything together and running right again I'll get some pics of the old girl up with her new mod list.

The car never really impressed me, it was a mid to low 13 second car on the old motor (ran 13.7 before I put the 4.10's in) but just wasn't radical enough for my personality. The new build is going to be more my speed, no pun intended. BTW I only ran the car once at the track, this was majority highway miles, so don't go all oh well that's why it blew up on me haha.

BTW anyone that needs engine parts (the not blown up stuff obviously, the passenginer side PI head should be fine, I have to check it out) or a fuel tank/sending unit/stock pump let me know. Got some aftermarket stuff too that's for sale, here's a link... please fund my new build haha.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...termarket.html

Last edited by 69MustangCoupe393cid; 10-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

That sucks. but consider that you could have floated and bent a valve at a different time and it just happen to finally drop the valve when you where just driving
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I didn't over rev the car 4500 rpm is not over revved. I know for a fact that's the rpm it broke at, I was staring at the tach. This had to be a factory defect.

Yup. There is a reason I kept my stock rev limiter on my car. This spring broke, I have a very basic bolt on motor, no cams, headers, hell even my h pipe is stock. There is no reason this should happen to a stock engine.
There are alot of factors that could play in this, just because its stock and 87k mileage really means nothing, theres cars that fall about with 20k miles, theres just way to many factors that could of played into this regarless of how it was driven. Parts can fail at any given time, its unfortuant but it happens. Hope you get it up and going asap that does suck for anyone.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Pretty much. Ask anyone I know, I have the worst luck with cars. I can buy a brand new car and it will somehow blow up and not be under warranty. I don't really rip on my cars too hard and I take very good care of them. I bought a car one time and it developed a rod knock within the first 30 miles of my driving it.

Either way life could be way worse so I'm just going to roll with it. **** happens. She's going to get put back together and you can bet your *** she won't be stock anymore. Once I get everything together and running right again I'll get some pics of the old girl up with her new mod list.

The car never really impressed me, it was a mid to low 13 second car on the old motor (ran 13.7 before I put the 4.10's in) but just wasn't radical enough for my personality. The new build is going to be more my speed, no pun intended. BTW I only ran the car once at the track, this was majority highway miles, so don't go all oh well that's why it blew up on me haha.

BTW anyone that needs engine parts (the not blown up stuff obviously, the passenginer side PI head should be fine, I have to check it out) or a fuel tank/sending unit/stock pump let me know. Got some aftermarket stuff too that's for sale, here's a link... please fund my new build haha.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...termarket.html
I am the same way man. I had a rattle follow me through a rebuild and a new engine in my old 96. I rebuilt the engine twice and changed it once in my 92 thunderbird SC.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Well the new motor has stronger aftermarket springs so this Crap hopefully doesn't happen again haha. But the thing ran perfect before this happened, if I bent a valve before this I really think I would have known.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

if thats the case, i say from now on you just abuse the crap out of every car you get, hell drive it like you stole it haha. at lleast them when it breaks you know why
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
if thats the case, i say from now on you just abuse the crap out of every car you get, hell drive it like you stole it haha. at lleast them when it breaks you know why
No joke man. Haha I probably should just rip on this thing now. Once I get this new build all set I'm sure I'm not going to be able to keep my foot out of it.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
I never understand this ****, my buddy had a yellow 99 GT ( 373 gear etc, mild bolt on car) absolutely dogged the crap out of it. power slides, bouncing off the rev limiter etc. bought it with 100k on it and sold it, still running great with 160k on it lol but my other friend with a black 01 GT ( mild bolt on as well) had to rebuild his motor at 90k cause it spun a rod bearing and spit out 2-3 spark plugs. i will never understand, sometimes i think cars have their own personalities.

Quick Reply: Not too happy... *Carnage inside*