4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Any ideas as to how these GT's caught fire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Photoshopeth

Default Any ideas as to how these GT's caught fire?

Last year I was driving to Cleveland when I saw this 99-04 GT on a flatbed, it was completely roasted.

Looking through auto auction websites, I've seen a few with the same fire damage. Including this one on a Swedish website.
\

There's obviously no widespread issue, but still makes me wonder what caused these individual fires, maybe a fuel leak or nos leak on that last one, or simply vandalism.

Last edited by Photoshopeth; 10-09-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

To many stickers made the last one lose traction and run right into the gas station...

I'm thinking someone purposely put the other one on fire.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Is there a reason why you care? Sorry not trying to be a **** but who gives a shlt? (not trying to be mean)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Is there a reason why you care? Sorry not trying to be a **** but who gives a shlt? (not trying to be mean)
That!
My subscription to Burnt up Mustang Monthly ran out so I cant look up what happened to those cars.
I assume you are trying to find if there is something wrong with Mustangs that make them catch on fire? you do realize if you search the internet long enough you will find the same pictures of every make and model of car out there.
**** Happens!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Yea probably stolen cars or insurance fraud cars that someone torched intentionally.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

I think the 99 on the flatbed was most likely vandalism/done for insurance money. The black one I don't think is from Sweden but in any case the second fire was from underneath so it may have been a fuel line issue, may have run the pressure to high and didn't have the right fittings/lines to handle it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I agree. The one on the flat bed had something helping the fire to get it hot enough to melt the wheels like that.

All cars can catch fire. Accident, bad wiring etc....

For the record, nitrous oxide isn't flammable like they showed in Fast and Furious. Just sayin'.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Jeez guys cut the guy a break he's asking a simple and valid question haha. Point everyone is making is that there is no "known" reason for a Mustang to burn, they're not really a car known to catch on fire. Now Lambo's on the other hand.... haha.

Either way as said above it could be anything. I know for a while manufacturer X (not trying to get sued here) was making bad fuel filters that would leak and drip on the exhaust of certain vehicles and that caused a lot of car fires a couple years ago. That being said, just because a car burns does not mean it is directly related to the manufacturer.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Photoshopeth
Why is the roof melted on this car? Did it get that hot or are the roofs made of something different?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

They both had enough NAWZZ to blow themselves up.. permanently

Quick Reply: Any ideas as to how these GT's caught fire?