4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Camshaft Position Sensor/Car barely starts

Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CowboyChris
Stupid question: there are two camshafts, right? if so, i assume there are two camshaft postion sensors, right? could he have changed the wrong one?
There is only one cam position sensor, the cams are chain driven and therefore well synchronised--so only one is needed...
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
CowboyChris

Could it be an issue with the timing? my mechanic friend says the timing might need to be adjusted, or it might need a new timing chain/belt. what do yall think? i dont want to tell him to replace all this stuff and just go spending money every time he suggests something. He may be my friend, but he also has a business to keep up, and he cant do that without people spending money.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The timing (both ignition and camshaft) is not adjustable, a "mechanic" who suggested that as a possibility does not know much about the 4.6L engine so you might want to find another.

Have you read the code(s) recently, or are you relying one what you had read "way back whenever"? Read the codes again now, then reset the PCM with your scanner and then read the code(s) when the SES lamp comes on again. If the P0340 code is there or comes up again work the possible causes list from top to bottom before worrying about anything else.

Have you checked the battery? Measure the voltage while cranking the engine, and while it is running wit the lights on and AC on high. Report back what you find.

How many miles on the car, how old are the spark plugs?

In the last, and much as it pains me to say this, you may want to bring the car to a Ford dealership , or shop known to have Ford 4.6L engine talents, and have them run a computer diagnostic. It will likely be cheaper than just throwing parts at the engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:54 PM
CowboyChris

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The timing (both ignition and camshaft) is not adjustable, a "mechanic" who suggested that as a possibility does not know much about the 4.6L engine so you might want to find another.

Have you read the code(s) recently, or are you relying one what you had read "way back whenever"? Read the codes again now, then reset the PCM with your scanner and then read the code(s) when the SES lamp comes on again. If the P0340 code is there or comes up again work the possible causes list from top to bottom before worrying about anything else.

Have you checked the battery? Measure the voltage while cranking the engine, and while it is running wit the lights on and AC on high. Report back what you find.

How many miles on the car, how old are the spark plugs?

In the last, and much as it pains me to say this, you may want to bring the car to a Ford dealership , or shop known to have Ford 4.6L engine talents, and have them run a computer diagnostic. It will likely be cheaper than just throwing parts at the engine.
I havnt checked the spark plugs or anything, but i should probably replace those and the ignition coils, shouldnt I? There are just about 95K miles on the car. I also havnt checked the battery. Do you think they have something that can check that at Oreillys? i think i remember them being able to check the Alternator, Starter and Battery with a machine there. Also, i just got home and rechecked the code, same thing, P0340. regarding my "mechanic", he specializes in imports, but he knows way more than i do so i figured it wouldnt hurt to have him look at it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CowboyChris
I havnt checked the spark plugs or anything, but i should probably replace those and the ignition coils, shouldnt I? There are just about 95K miles on the car. I also havnt checked the battery. Do you think they have something that can check that at Oreillys? i think i remember them being able to check the Alternator, Starter and Battery with a machine there. Also, i just got home and rechecked the code, same thing, P0340. regarding my "mechanic", he specializes in imports, but he knows way more than i do so i figured it wouldnt hurt to have him look at it.
The plugs are probably the originals, the first recommended change is at 100k miles so they are due. There is no need to change the COPs unless they are found to be bad, do check the boots for signs of hardening/cracking or a burned smell. They can be replaced for $3 each from this online source. Properly cared for and not allowed to overheat from HV leakage the stock COPs will outlast the car. My brother has over 170k miles on his '99 with the stock COPs.

O'Reillys can only "check" things, not perform any detailed diagnosis. A real repair shop or a Ford dealer will have Ford's IDS (Intergrated Diagnostic System) or a similar full diagnostic system that can run an automatic sequence of tests for every engine sensor and control.

I would change the plugs (Champion stock # 3401 single platinums are the same as the stock Motorcraft plugs--they are what I run), and check the COP boots as described--then work the P0340 possible cause list from top to bottom.

Make damned sure whoever changes the plugs understands that they have to be torqued, to 11 to 13 lb-ft (132 to 156 lb-in), with a properly sized torque wrench (preferably a 1/4" drive torque wrench). Not doing so can strip the threads in the cylinder head and/or allow a plug to "pop" out resulting in a $200 to $300 repair.

If they do not have a torque wrench of the proper range then the plugs should be installed hand tight plus another 1/16th of a turn--no more and no less...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
CowboyChris

Wow. I didnt realize its so serious to tighten the spark plugs just right, but the way you explain it, it makes sense now. I also didnt know i didnt have to change the coils with the plugs. thanks for that tip too because oreillys wanted $219 for a set of 8 coils. Thats impressive about your brothers car. Anyways, I just got back from Oreillys and they did their test on the battery and alternator. The battery was near perfect, but the alternator was bad. im still going to check out the ford dealership for their full diagnostic test, but im going to wait till payday because im sure its going to cost an arm and a leg.