4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Any advice on these problems?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 AM
DjBootleg813
1st Gear Member

Default Any advice on these problems?

I pulled my spark plugs about a month ago.. Just to find oil in 3 out of 8 cylinders.. Not a bunch but enough to be worried, it covered the electrode... No smoke coming out though... Where do I start with that.. Probably just take it to a shop correct? How much you think that would run me..

Also...

Well I pulled some codes and they are listed below.. But I'm thinking there is an issue with the TPS because the car is idk how to explain it but like "studdering" when I'm driving it will kind of jerk/sound kind of choppy. Or maybe that's because of the oil in the sparks?

Been a while since I've been on here and its unfortunate that it has to be about a problem.. Anyway any advice would help. Just want to get the stang back running perfect..

And its weird I pulled codes a week ago and it was saying something was wrong with the front 02 sensors. Lack of heat or something.. And I just replaced those...

Name:  IMAG0280.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  18.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0281.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0282.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  20.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0283.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  18.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0284.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  21.1 KB
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

That evap control valve is way vents the idle ags fuems into the intake when u start it, if u trace a rubber vacum hose with a red stripe on it youll find it, it the hose it dry rotted it can be causing u a vacum leak as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
That evap control valve is way vents the idle ags fuems into the intake when u start it, if u trace a rubber vacum hose with a red stripe on it youll find it, it the hose it dry rotted it can be causing u a vacum leak as well.
+1

Yessir, your engine is shuddering because the spark is probably grounding out through the oil. Replacing your valve cover gaskets should fix that problem.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM
DjBootleg813
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
+1

Yessir, your engine is shuddering because the spark is probably grounding out through the oil. Replacing your valve cover gaskets should fix that problem.
That's somethin I think I could do.. but someone mentioned the piston rings could be worn and that could be causing it... What r your thoughts on that?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Worn piston rings aren't going to put oil in the spark plug wells, unless you meant oil in the actual cylinders. That however is usually caused by bad valve stem seals. Does it smoke a lot on start up? Bad rings could cause oil in the cylinders in extreme cases. The easiest way to diagnose bad rings is with a compression tester.

You can get a cheap one for around $20. Just screw it into your spark plug holes and spin the engine over a few times. If the rings are good, compression will be the same (or very close) over all the cylinders and the cylinder will hold pressure. If it leaks then you may have a problem. Before you do that make sure you disconnect the fuel shut off switch located in your trunk so you aren't spraying fuel while you spin it over.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM
01GTvp

System too lean is most likely because of your o2 sensor codes. The o2 sensors are reading wrong causing the engine to run lean. Try replacing them again. And after you replace them, have auto zone or whatever erase JUST the o2 sensor codes and see if they come back. If not it could be maybe wiring. Or could also be an indication of a MAF malfunction. P1150 is air/fuel mix incorrect. So after the o2's try the MAF
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
01GTvp

* if they do come back (correction)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM
DjBootleg813
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GTvp
* if they do come back (correction)
But I JUST changed them.. Thats nuts that they would need to be changed again.. And even if I change em it'll just come right back and have to change em again right?

THE MAF
I have a aftermarket 90MM Lighting on there now.. Someone told me its better to run the stock.. You ever heard of that?

I have the stock one right here.. should I try swapping it out? I've tried cleaning it....
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Let's not just go swapping parts here and shotgunning everything. If you have a stock MAF then by all means put it back on and see what it says. I don't know if that will make a difference or not but we can see. The only true way to test your o2 sensors is with some expensive diagnostic equipment I bet you don't have. Did you ever track down that evap leak? Like uberstang said if certain parts of that system are rotting out then it may be causing a vacuum leak which is the cause of your lean condition. Since both banks are running lean the problem is most likely NOT your o2 sensors.

Edit: Those codes are not saying lack of heat btw. They are saying lack of heated o2 sensor switch. Your engine wants to see an up and down from your oxygen sensors. This lets it know that everything is working properly. When you have an issue that your fuel system can not compensate for the engine will run either too rich or too lean which will stick the signal either high or low. This will set your check engine light for o2 sensors not switching. That by itself may indicate a bad sensor. However because both banks show lean you can bet decent money that your engine is in fact sucking in far too much oxygen and it is doing it somewhere that effects both banks, like your intake manifold.

Last edited by Stevo86; 12-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM
01GTvp

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Let's not just go swapping parts here and shotgunning everything. If you have a stock MAF then by all means put it back on and see what it says. I don't know if that will make a difference or not but we can see. The only true way to test your o2 sensors is with some expensive diagnostic equipment I bet you don't have. Did you ever track down that evap leak? Like uberstang said if certain parts of that system are rotting out then it may be causing a vacuum leak which is the cause of your lean condition. Since both banks are running lean the problem is most likely NOT your o2 sensors.

Edit: Those codes are not saying lack of heat btw. They are saying lack of heated o2 sensor switch. Your engine wants to see an up and down from your oxygen sensors. This lets it know that everything is working properly. When you have an issue that your fuel system can not compensate for the engine will run either too rich or too lean which will stick the signal either high or low. This will set your check engine light for o2 sensors not switching. That by itself may indicate a bad sensor. However because both banks show lean you can bet decent money that your engine is in fact sucking in far too much oxygen and it is doing it somewhere that effects both banks, like your intake manifold.
Good point about both throwing a code. That didn't cross my mind but does make perfect sense. Still learning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any advice on these problems?