4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2v guys, What brand and weight of oil and filter do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Theres no doubt 5w20 offers less protection, the only reason it speced in the USA is for CAFE regulation and gas mileage claims. Did you ever wonder why the same exact 4.6 ford motor in other countries is specced for 5w30.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Amsoil SS 5w-30. 50 bones for 5 quarts but you're good for 10K. Whether it's faith or fact I can tell you that after draining the stuff I was using to break in the engine and replacing it with the Amsoil my normally noisy aftermarket valve train got nice and quiet.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

The oil may last 10k, but Those little filters wont...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

And the build up of nasties--water vapor, by-products of combustion and blow-by--continue to be generated at the same rate regardless of what oil you are running. I change the oil in our cars every 2500 to 3000 miles, and we routinely run them up to 250,000+ miles...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

10w30 synthetic with a Motorcraft filter. Anything less and it "rattles".
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luke1333
whats wrong with royal purple?
its what, $15 a quart? quick google of oil anaylasis on several different vehicles can show excess wear and the oil thinning out, as well as moisture in some bottles and the oil foaming. You cant really read everything you read on the interweb but I know valvoline has been around since before many of us have been born and I have never had an issue doing a 5k filter/oil change allmost for the price of one quart of Royal purple, the only time I ran different was on my 6.0 powerstroke when I ran shell rotella synthetic, I have tried amsoil, valvoline syn, penzoil, royal purple in several different vehilcles and I have never heard or felt a differance in the way the car ran or on fuel milage

this was taken from SVTP (i forgot who it was) on an 03 cobra with 12k that had nothing but RP every 2k,

Name:  sludgecobra.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  35.1 KB

I allways use factory oil filters

Last edited by mustangman02232; 01-30-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
its what, $15 a quart? quick google of oil anaylasis on several different vehicles can show excess wear and the oil thinning out, as well as moisture in some bottles and the oil foaming. You cant really read everything you read on the interweb but I know valvoline has been around since before many of us have been born and I have never had an issue doing a 5k filter/oil change allmost for the price of one quart of Royal purple, the only time I ran different was on my 6.0 powerstroke when I ran shell rotella synthetic, I have tried amsoil, valvoline syn, penzoil, royal purple in several different vehilcles and I have never heard or felt a differance in the way the car ran or on fuel milage

this was taken from SVTP (i forgot who it was) on an 03 cobra with 12k that had nothing but RP every 2k,

dont know where you are getting your numbers for royal purple but american muscle has it for $9.99 a qt

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...rce=igodigital

i pay $7.70 at dealership for a qt so it isnt that expensive and i can run 7000+ miles and the oil still has a purple hue when it comes out. and you cant take a photo from another member that took it without background. he could have only 12k miles but were they all drag raced? road racing? leisure sunday driving? you dont have a clue what they did with the car. now here is a thread on several mustang forums showing royal purple on cams.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-...ustang-gt.html

the photos speak for themselves but we also dont know how they drove these cars but even if they were driven close to same one has almost double the miles and still look brand new and in spec. also note the blackstone oil post in post #7 i believe in that link above and how royal purple faired. i also have a blackstone tube waiting to be filled and sent away for testing when i do my next oil change. i would dare you to run an oil test against me or any other royal purple users.

also you say you can get an oil change for the price of 1 qt of royal purple so you get 5.5 qts or so of 5w20/5w30 mobil, penz, amsoil, valvoline for under $10 or $15 (what you think rp costs) and a filter? Like to know where you buy your products. last time i checked on a motorcraft filter at dealer cost was like $3 and change so you can get 5+ qts of oil for under $7? Must be some real good stuff.....

and as for rp making more power not sure i said anywhere i can feel a difference in power but i wouldnt be surprised if on the dyno it pulls a few more horses out like 5ish hp and you would never feel that.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by mustangman02232

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers but we need to take a look at that oil real quick, if he changed every 2k miles that means that oil has less than 2k on it, considering it looks like chocolate milk is evidence to me that more than likley coolant mixed in there at some point and is probably the real issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Don't mean to ruffle any feathers but we need to take a look at that oil real quick, if he changed every 2k miles that means that oil has less than 2k on it, considering it looks like chocolate milk is evidence to me that more than likley coolant mixed in there at some point and is probably the real issue.
good point as well. its the oil's fault though haha
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
stangcoupe1970
2nd Gear Member

I use 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic with a Motorcraft filter. change every 3500 miles

Quick Reply: 2v guys, What brand and weight of oil and filter do you use?