4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How come my 1/4 mile times suck!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Default How come my 1/4 mile times suck!!!??

It was my first time at the track two weeks ago and it was a lot of fun, but my times suck!! I'm at work so I can't post my time slips up right now but I posted my best one in the 2013 time slip thread already.

My question is how can I prevent so much wheel spin on my crappy sumo street tires? My best 60" was a horrible 2.4! And my trap speed was low considering what other people are running with less mods. I got wheel spin while shifting to 2nd and 3rd too.

Do I need slicks just to hook up or just more practice? I think I was just nervous and slamming the gas every gear instead of easing it. Any tips for me for next time? I am going again in 2 weeks.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

With the gears you have street tires may not be the best option. Also based on your mod list all I see is a bunch of go fast mods. Ever thing about doing some suspension work, springs, struts, LCA's, Sub frame connectors or any other mods that make your power get to the ground.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

practice will help some with your 60ft but with out any supporting mods you wont get any power to the ground. and with the extra weight being a vert its going to take a little more to get the ets you want
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Timeslip from the other thread below:

Name:  IMG_0602_zpsa5b2de9b.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  67.1 KB

It could just be that your tires blow. Also being your first time at the strip doesn't help but skill should improve.

You should consider drag radials if you have the cash and extra space for them. You can do suspension mods too but I think getting a stickier set of tires will do the job or at least be a good first step towards better traction.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Did you add these mods or did you buy the car with the mods?
The slip doesn't match up with the mods you have listed. I would have expected the 1/8 trap to be around 83mph and the 1/4 trap to be around 106mph. The trap isn't effected a whole lot by traction issues so it is usually a good read on how much power you are making.

You will have to take it easy when launching the car. Simply roll into the throttle like you are leaving a stop light. Your tires won't hold an aggressive launch. Smooth shifts, not gear jamming might help your transition between gears with these tires.

Practice and have fun!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I am going to do some suspension but have to research further before i pull the trigger. I know SFCs for sure and LCA and maybe UCA but I don't know which brands and models are the best for mostly street and some track. I bought the car stock and have done all of the mods (well paid for installs). I guess I need to save up for some better tires too. But shouldn't my trap speed be higher as TRUEBLUE said? I felt like my car was pulling great until I shifted into 4th, then I felt a lack of power. I held 3rd through one of my runs but it died off after 5500rpms. Also im not sure where to start breaking after the run, I started right after I passed the time board but should I have continued a little more, or is that where the sensors end?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Stay away from aftermarket UCA's but the LCA's and SFC's will help you out.
What Sumo's you running?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
TrueMetalGeek
1st Gear Member

I remember when we took my friend's Camero back to the track after we dropped in the 383 Stroker.
Traction SUCKED!
Stock street tires.

We kept letting the air down and finally we had it down to something like 15PSI or something. The track official would probably have been pissed.
But when I drove it I did get a nice .1 reaction and the tires spun but at least with more contact they propelled the car forward. LOL! Ran a 13.4 that way.

And the other thing to do for reaction time is to start anticipating that green light.
Knowing there was a slight delay with the initial wheel spin I would (mentally) hit the throttle as the last yellow is on and that would give me great reaction times and I rarely ever red lighted.

Click the image to see a video.
As the night progressed the times got better on the two project vehicles we brought.
The 1995 Camero LT1 stroker and the 2000 Ram 360 TURBO
Both eventually ran mid 13's once traction and other issues were worked out that night.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

you've officially trapped 3mph slower than a stock GT should trap. I think you have an underlying issue here. I'd get my tune checked. Sure better launch will help worlds, but it wont help that trap speed
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I can't remember exactly what tires I have, I think either htz 2 or 3. I heard lowering the PSI that low on street tires is dangerous lol. I don't think I am going to do that. Yea ever since I installed the TB and Plenum I have been having issues with air leaks and my rpms are jacked up sometimes. Other times it is perfect so I don't really know what is going on there. I also didn't get an updated tune since I installed those two things. I am waiting for my Bassani catted X to arrive before I get a real dyno tune.

Quick Reply: How come my 1/4 mile times suck!!!??