4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

anyone with exp, on the drop in return style fuel hats

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Default anyone with exp, on the drop in return style fuel hats

just like the title. Ive been having too many issues with my return less system, and im not holding my breath that the bad alternator was the last problem. So far ive pretty much had to replace everything in my return less system, new ford fpdm, new ford fprs, new alternator, sized up the wiring, had a new ford gt super car pump. all that crap and i still cant make enough pressure to support fuel over 5400, and 350rwhp....So baring a successful test run next weekend or so, ill be buying a return system. What i want to discuss is, advantages and disadvantages between the type of system run.

Not surprisingly there are all sorts of choices. My main choice was a glenns performance stealth tank, then thought about just sumping my own tank to save money, and now im considering a drop in return style fuel hat. so let me lay out what i see, and then get opinions and exp.

glenns performance set up,
pros- stealth from the back anyway no one will know im running a return system, also allows easy access and upgrade to all the important parts of the fueling system.
cons- external pumps tend to be loud
sumped stock tank,
pros- save money since i wont be buying a new tank, same as above easy to access and upgrade the fuel system.
cons- youll be able to tell from 6 blocks back that im running a return system at this point my car isnt exactly stealthy but when its turned off no one knows also i will be putting mufflers back on at some point and itd be nice if it at least tried to play the part of normal gt haha, they are ugly imho, and still external pumps can be loud(also not sneaky).
drop in hat,
pros-might be the easiest system to install, and almost the cheapest. keeps pumps internal so keeps the noise down.
cons- still have to drop the stupid tank to work on anything....cant run one big single pump to support my fuel needs, has to be dual or triple, of course some people feel running multiple fuel pumps is better for reliability in case one fails, others feel a single pump fails and still saves your motor. not sure which i believe.

so see my issue? if i could get other people ideas to help me make this decision that'd be great. Keep in mind i understand that in the future id want at least a baffled tank and my current on isn't. But i dont plan to race low on fuel at this point, and its something i can always upgrade later with ease, so i didnt really put that in the pros for the glens stuff.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

I have the glenns performance sleeper tank and have think long and hard about getting rid of it for a regular rear sump tank along with my triple pump setup and going with a big magnafuel pump. The biggest problem with the internal sump in the sleeper system is fuel starvation if you run your tank low. Stay away from 2-3 pump setups I know a few 1000+ Ho guys running single pumps so there are pumps for your power level. I will be 800+ this year on a single pump. Now onto the loudness of an external pump when my car is running I cannot hear them and my car is quite at idle with 2 turbos and chambered bassani mufflers the only time I hear a pump is when I turn the key on with out starting the car.

If I were in your shoes I would either get an 03-04 fuel tanks with a return style fore fuel hat or sump your stock fuel tank in the rear with a magnafuel pump.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

does the drop in hat work for either gt or cobra tank? if so i can always get the cobra tank later down the road and just bolt that in. also i thought all the drop in hats were set up for multiple pumps, and are kind of limited by size, so is there a drop in hat designed for a big pump? i know one of the ones im looking at will hold 2 stealth 340s but thats still 2 pumps although theoretically that would be good for over 1000hp
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Look into lethal performance fuel systems, I will be going with one of them when I upgrade.

They seem to have the best priced return setups I have seen yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Just run a sumped tank and external pump and be done. I'm running a sumped tank with a monster magnafuel and its rather loud with key on but with the car running you can barley hear it. I'm a fan of single pump setups, and as a bonus they look badazz.
Name:  carmashoot3_zps414eb3fe.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  58.8 KB

Last edited by uberstang1; 03-26-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

You bought all your stuff seperate right keith?

I know you bought it used but like its not a kit a company offers right?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm running the Aeromotive Stealth tank with the drop in Eliminator hat in a Terminator style tank. Looks stock, but supports 1000+ hp. (they claim 1400hp, I believe) It's working well in my car.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

No my kit was peiced together got all the lines and stuf used and a new magnafuel 625
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Just run a sumped tank and external pump and be done. I'm running a sumped tank with a monster magnafuel and its rather loud with key on but with the car running you can barley hear it. I'm a fan of single pump setups, and as a bonus they look badazz.
my problem with the sump is they scream "IM COMPLETELY MODIFIED!" not that the car is a quiet sleeper right now, but it could be bolt on looking if im gentle with the throttle and put mufflers on it. But sadly not gonna happen with that big (imho UGLY) sump hangin down like an old man sack haha

im leaning towards the budget return from lethal with upgraded steath 340s for future. then all i have to do is upgrade the lines and rails when i need the extra flow.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If your attempting for a sleeper look I'm pretty sure even from 100 yards away in your track video I can hear a vent to atmosphere bypass valve pulling up like a jumbo jet lol