4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

gt front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default gt front suspension

I am on a very tight budget, so can't lay out the cash for a kit, so have to do this piecemeal.
The vert has a front end alignment issue, so I start with MM CC plates. Before installing these, I got to thinking I should do the struts too (as far as I know they are OE with about 125K on them, I got the car at 30K). I don't have noticeable issues with the current struts, just figured as I would have them half way off anyway, might as well go all out and replace them anyway.
As for my needs: the car is a DD, and treated as such. Yes I do occasionally get on it, but I have no plans on racing it. It is currently not lowered, other than a decade worth of the stock suspension sagging... and yes, a minor lowering (1.5" maybe) is a thought, but not in the immediate works. Same with CO conversion, K member and A arms (as far as front end).
SO..... what I am looking for is a strut that will work with a stock ride down to a 1.5" drop, and able to convert to a CO is a bonus. Currently looking at Koni STR.T (not sure on CO capability), but somebody recently pointed to the Strange 10 ways at about the same price point and are CO capable. Any others to consider? pros/cons to these?
TIA, James
Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Blistons are a popular choice and are co accepting. I have the tokico illuminas u front with co's and like them.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Bilsteins are nice, but they are about 2x the cost. There was a set of Tokico in the same price range as I was looking, but they weren't the illuminas (they are HPs) (and it appears these will work with some COs anyway).
Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
I am on a very tight budget, so can't lay out the cash for a kit, so have to do this piecemeal.
The vert has a front end alignment issue, so I start with MM CC plates. Before installing these, I got to thinking I should do the struts too (as far as I know they are OE with about 125K on them, I got the car at 30K). I don't have noticeable issues with the current struts, just figured as I would have them half way off anyway, might as well go all out and replace them anyway.
As for my needs: the car is a DD, and treated as such. Yes I do occasionally get on it, but I have no plans on racing it. It is currently not lowered, other than a decade worth of the stock suspension sagging... and yes, a minor lowering (1.5" maybe) is a thought, but not in the immediate works. Same with CO conversion, K member and A arms (as far as front end).
SO..... what I am looking for is a strut that will work with a stock ride down to a 1.5" drop, and able to convert to a CO is a bonus. Currently looking at Koni STR.T (not sure on CO capability), but somebody recently pointed to the Strange 10 ways at about the same price point and are CO capable. Any others to consider? pros/cons to these?
TIA, James

I used these springs and struts on my '04 GT vert and it was a very nice all around setup. (handling and straight line)

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html