4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SN95: GT vert or cobra

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 PM
vargas
2nd Gear Member

Default SN95: GT vert or cobra

Now I'm not into racing. I do like some power though. I like style and I like loud exhausts. That being said. I'm stuck on weather to keep my stang, lower it and get an exhaust a convertible in san diego is very useful; or sell it, buy a cobra of the same year and get more power out of it.

I'm at a stand still. Any recommendations you guys can give me to make up my mind?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

call me biased, but you cant go wrong with a nice 96-98 Cobra.. ditch the vert idea.. they are plagued with issues down the road if not already... my car has gears,xpipe,and pullies its a 12 sec car.. Cant do that with a new edge GT
Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

If you can swing a cobra, why not. It's a no brainer. I love my GT, but if I could upgrade to a GT500, I'd do it in a heartbeat...But school tuition is more important for me at the time.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I told myself that I would never have a convertible again but then yesterday driving down the coast on a nice spring day, all I could think about was a convertible wrapped with a cage.

I don't know of anything that plagues the verts more than the hardtops?

Whatever you do though, make sure it's a 4v.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
I told myself that I would never have a convertible again but then yesterday driving down the coast on a nice spring day, all I could think about was a convertible wrapped with a cage.

Whatever you do though, make sure it's a 4v.
IMO $1000 for a top every ~10 years is absolutely worth it I don't think I could ever own another hard top unless it was a full out race car
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Wind noise, water leaks, bad motors, torn tops, windows that dont seal properly. Thats just a few things Ive delt with
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I never had to deal with any special problems other than the tops. I changed the first one because I didn't like tan and the second one got cut into when someone (My mother) tried to break into it.

The third top got a bind in a fold that cracked the edge. Which drove me nuts for as fickle as I am.

The Cloth type termi tops are more durable than the vinyl and that's the only way I'd go again.

The problem with GT's (Especially as old as the SN's are getting now) is that people take care of them about the same as they do with the V6's. We've all seen those busted out sagging automatic v6's that are more like Pino's than Mustangs. People tend to take care of Cobras a lot more. I'm sure it has everything to do the price tier that the models are sold for.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I never had to deal with any special problems other than the tops.
you just proved my point of my original post

dont get another vert...period lol
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
you just proved my point of my original post

dont get another vert...period lol
And lets add that theyre expensive and weigh more. I absolutely despise verts. They look horrible with the top up compared to a coupe as well. Verts do look really good with the top down though. Also not real winter friendly. I wouldnt trade my car for an 03/04 cobra if it was a vert and I mean that with complete sincerity.

This might be just a weird me thing but I hate the publicity/exposure that having the top down creates. People can see absolutely everything. People can reach in and ****. People could toss **** at you if they wanted. I really like the feel/idea of a dark tinted coupe. I dont want people starin at me n **** or seeing my face. I want people to judge the car, not me. I regret not getting 15% tint instead of 35%....especially considering my car is illegal anyways.

I dunno
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

As said before Cobras are generally better taken care of and are 80 hp more bonestock than an sn GT.I am not saying anything bad about the GT's but I would definitely go for a 4v.

Quick Reply: SN95: GT vert or cobra