4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Removal TR3650 BH Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM
GuyNGalStangs

Exclamation Transmission Removal TR3650 BH Bolt

I am in the process of removing my transmission to replace my throwout bearing (Yes I have bought the motorcraft one). I have the Ford Service Manual (Shop Manual). I have removed the DS, H-Pipe, Starter, etc. The tranny is being held up by a tranny jack (Lowered to get more room), I have the lower 5 bolts removed. I am trying to get the top 2 Bellhousing bolts. BH to Engine.--- I used a 13mm Impact socket, with Impact Ext, Impact Wobble, I am able to get an even fit on the bolt [R upper (Pass)] I am using a 2+ft Breaker Bar and have tired a pneumatic hammer/wrench. I am unable to get that %$*&#@! bolt. It looks as if the bolt is stripped (on a few of the edges, which tells me I did not get an even fit). ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING. I would like to get this done today. Thank you! (I have been a member for a while, just could not remember my old ID) :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Are you using a 6point socket? Those bolts have never gave me any trouble. Impact gun with a long extension. Let the transmission hang on it own weight and use a jack and wood to crank the front of the motor up.. it will give you more room to get those 2 bolts out.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
GuyNGalStangs

Yes I am using a 6 point. I can see the Pass bolt no problem. I will try to let the tranny hang and jack the engine.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM
GuyNGalStangs

Got the bolt. A swivel works better then a wobble. Now to the driver side top.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM
GuyNGalStangs

Got the bolts. Tranny is stuck, I have tried rocking it side to side and up and down. It is not coming lose. Should I Jack the front of the engine up to make that easier? the shifter has cleared the hole.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

i always jack the front of the motor up a big.. You sure you have all the bolts off? even the small 13mm ones that go from the dust plate to the bottom of the trans. Also, there is a bracket for the trans harness that goes thru those top bolts that always hangs up.. get 2 big screw drivers and pry the trans from the motor
Old 04-14-2013, 06:09 PM
GuyNGalStangs

Yeah I had all the bolts off... It was just a PITA to get it off, it was stuck to the guides. I just got it lowered. All good to go to get the throwout bearing off, Thinking about replacing the clutch as well since I am there already. Looks good though, about to really inspect it.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Laniganl

Default I'm so over it

I'm so #%*!#%*!! Over it. I've been Tryna get the two bell housing bolts off the trans for 10 hrs . Idk what to do. I'm havin the same isse this guy is having except I don't have air tools. I've went through 4 swivels tht I broke. Not cheap ones either I'm so close to having a mobile mechanic come and take it out for any ideas
Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

buy better tools? dont attempt a job that you dont have the correct tools or knowledge to complete? thats a start
Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I JUST finished this same process this weekend.
I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. I unbolted the motor mounts and let the tranny hang on its own weight. Then with at least a 2 foot extension, a swivel, a lot of patience, and a bit of luck I got on the bolts. Then just cranked with my 3/8 drive rachet. They came free pretty easy once I got up to them. Putting them in was the exact same. Although I may not have gotten that bracket bolted in those holes. I don't know how you can accomplish that

Quick Reply: Transmission Removal TR3650 BH Bolt