4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

PCM? Where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Default PCM? Where to buy?

So PCM is bad and ford discontinued it, so where can I buy a replacement? I'm having an issue finding them online. I haven't checked napa or anything yet by I thought I'd start with the Internet and yet I'm finding crap. Cliff k, if you read this I tested my wiring harness on plugs 1-4 no problems that I was able to find with the connections, did have a small resistance between case ground and he power wires, but the resistance was all the same between every plug, so my guess is its a factory thing. Any help on a way for me to get a replacement and maybe advise on what I need to do for initial install, I understand I have to do the pats system. Is there anything else? Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Junk yard or eBay; Autozone, O'Reillys, NAPA, and most FLAPS will have the CardOne rebuilt units...

If you find one in a junk yard get the instrument cluster from the same car and you won't have to worry about the PATS...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Junk yard or eBay; Autozone, O'Reillys, NAPA, and most FLAPS will have the CardOne rebuilt units...

If you find one in a junk yard get the instrument cluster from the same car and you won't have to worry about the PATS...
thanks for the info. is there a problem using a rebuilt one from cardone? most of the junkyards in my area dont have cars this new.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have never bought one, however as I understand they will flash the proper tune prior to shipping it, you then will need a Ford dealer to "marry" it to the instrument cluster so that the PATS will work. Or have it flashed by a tuner to disable the PATS.

Have you verified, using a diagnostic, or just plain ol' oscilloscope, that the PCM is bad? It will be a lot cheaper to pay someone to do that then buy a new PCM.

You need to stop changing parts and bring the car to a Ford dealer or good diagnostic shop and find out once and for all what is wrong...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

I would have love to get a scope but we couldn't find anyone with one, the dealer guys just use the handheld to watch stuff like we did. But I thought the tests I did were definitive enough to not warrant the cost of having it scoped? I mean we canceled out injectors plugs and cops by swapping them. All that was left was wiring or PCM? I checked the wiring and it tested fine. Both cylinder 3 and 4 cop wires are linked in the harness, and i suspect the pcm, and that's where I was having the issues was 3 and 4, all 4 at this point. So when I checked wires I checked 1-4 they all tested the same. Am I missing something? I've never had to go this deep into diag before. So it's all kind of new info. Thank you for the info thus far though its been a great help. I will say this I had a small resistance in the case ground to the wires and in the power wire but the resistance was exactly the same on all plugs 082 or something like that can't remember the number. But I figured that had to be normal since they were all the same including cylinders that have never given me an issue.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Oh I forgot to mention. I found a diablo chip plugged in the PCM. I guess we have been flashing over it or something I didn't think they would work together at all, but I removed it and re uploaded the tune and still have the miss so part of me think the chip didn't help the PCM any