4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New and need advice on a 2001 GT

Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Cbird

Default New and need advice on a 2001 GT

Right now I have a 2005 mustang 4.0 V6. It's a really pretty car. I have 12' black stripes, window louvers, side scoops, a hood scoop (GT replica, not some cheesy one) GT wheels, GT500 spoiler, etc, etc.

2 problems, It's a V6 and a auto transmission.

The 2001 GT I'm looking at has 54,000 miles and they want a little over 9000 for it. It's in very good physical shape but I'm more worried about the internals.

My parents can't seem to understand why I would want to trade a newer mustang for a older one. My mom HATES that its a V8 and my dad doesn't care for the new edge style.

Now, I know it has low miles. My current mustang has a little over 100,000 so the new mustang is much lower. But does how old the car is effect it that much? Surely Ford makes the V8's stronger than the paper thin V6's and I should be ok right? I also know (or have heard I should say) that manuals are built stronger than auto's because they factor in human error.

I know you guys can't make a real accurate prediction based on the information but would you do it if you had the chance? I really want a manual GT and the new edge mustangs look sick. This one is black with a chin spoiler and deep dish bullitt wheels.

It was so much more enjoyable to drive than my V6 too. I also really want to learn how to drive a manual well. I can drive this beast now but 1st gear isn't real pretty, ya know what I mean?

So the bottomline is it ran and drove well for me but I'm just really nervous about buying a car that old if it's going to have a lot of problems. I'm also pretty attached to my V6.. What have your experiences with these models of mustangs been?

Thanks for helping me out guys. Cool website too by the way. I wish I had known about this before!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

I love my '02 GT and have had ZERO problems out of it. It has 60k miles on it now. I say get the V8. But if you have sentimental value towards the sixxer keep it. You don't want to do something you'll regret. but also don't pass up a deal you would regret. I may have the opportunity after HS to get a 2007 GT/CS or Maybe even a 2010+. But i dont know if i will because i have a ton of sentimental value to my car. It's my first car and i have dumped a little over $2k of my own money in mods alone. Although a manual 5.0 may change my mind, considering mine is an auto 4.6.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

manual v8 and never look back
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Cbird

I think I'm going to do it. It's a really nice car and I'm sure I will like it better.

It's just gonna be a little rough selling the ol' v6 but all good things must end haha. Plus she's getting old. Ticking time bomb of mechanical problems coming down the pipe.

Hopefully in a few days I will be a GT owner! Thank you so much guys
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

If you're that concerned about having an older car, I would choose carefully.

If you aren't mechanically inclined, willing to read a Chiltons, or pick up a Ford Tech manual. Don't waste your time! If your outgoing car is falling apart or has "mechanical problems."

What is going to be the outcome of having an older car you aren't going to take care of and won't know how to work on it.

I feel that it's much more rewarding to be able to do your own work, not to mention saving a metric a** ton of cash on labor.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Excellent advice Seabee, but I dont't think we can assume he won't take care of the GT? He seems to have maintained his '06 well. He seems to just prefer the GT as either of the older cars will naturally have wear and tear issues as the years and miles add up.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I'm not trying to pull his card, but it's the wording he uses.
It's a 2001, it should be expected unless the current owner keeps a file of whats been done. (Which is what I do)
There are so many variables here. what's been done to it? how has it been driven? garage kept? summer car? DD? Older owner? Original owner?
Those should all be things that OP should take into account and ask before evening reaching for his wallet.

I've had some hiccups with mine that I sure wish I had of looked at before I bought it. Just want him to use caution, and to educate himself. Knowledge is power, and as much as I love talking on this forum, it's not the first place I look if I'm stumped.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
I'm not trying to pull his card, but it's the wording he uses.
It's a 2001, it should be expected unless the current owner keeps a file of whats been done. (Which is what I do)
There are so many variables here. what's been done to it? how has it been driven? garage kept? summer car? DD? Older owner? Original owner?
Those should all be things that OP should take into account and ask before evening reaching for his wallet.

I've had some hiccups with mine that I sure wish I had of looked at before I bought it. Just want him to use caution, and to educate himself. Knowledge is power, and as much as I love talking on this forum, it's not the first place I look if I'm stumped.
i couldnt stress that enough. Not that ive had any problems with mine, but make sure you know what you're buying because after all you will be paying a good chunk of change for something you have to drive everyday/near everyday.

On that note, if it looks good and youre comfortable and ready, pull the trigger! have fun and good luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Your presumption that the 2005 is a ticking time bomb at 100,000 miles is pure speculation unless you know you haven't been maintaining it.

If your V6 is running fine, I'd keep it instead of a 2001 GT with 54,000 I have no idea how this car was driven or maintained miles miles.

Additionally, Ford still makes a lot more parts for the 2005 than the 2001.

What do your parents have to do with selling your car?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Legally, if he's under 18, his parents have a LOT to do with selling the car.
I'm pretty sure there are just as many parts for the 2001 as the 2005.

That being said, I'd stick with what you have for now. $9K for a stock GT is over priced...even with the low miles. If you really want a 99-04 GT, shop around more. There are FAR better deals to be had.

The other thing you should look at is seeing the V6 and the auto as a bad thing. The V6 is a stout motor - not 'paper thin'. An auto isn't a bad thing at all for a street car. If it were a pure track car, then I'd say match the tranny to the type of racing. Being that you're young (guessing), take your time and learn about the car you have. Drive it to it's fully potential prior to 'needing' to jump to the 5 sp V8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New and need advice on a 2001 GT