4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

She Just Quit on Me !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

How's your car running since all the work that went into it.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM
JimK

It is running pretty good. I take it out nightly around sundown long enough to bring the engine to operating temperature. I run it through the gears, up shifting and down shifting to vary the engine speed during the new long block break in period. But so far I have not taken it over 4k rpm. There is only about 300 miles on the new long block.

The Nitto NT555 265/35 tires on 18" wheels coupled with the lowering and the Steeda Bump Steer kit, really allows Pearl to feel solid and hug the road through the corners.

On Tuesday I will have the A/C system checked and a slight leak coming from around the oil pan and the oil level sensor port. I have purchased a new oil level sensor port washer, so that should fix the leak there.

I am hearing a slight rotational squeak coming from the passenger side rear when I am going about 40mph and I make a slight turn to the left, like changing lanes. This is understandable because the passenger side, just in back of the door was slammed into by a drunk woman in a 1972 Chrysler, about 3 years ago. Pearl has been sitting for about 3 years and now I am resurrecting her.

Now that the suspension and mechanicals are improving and the vehicle is "sitting" correctly with the new suspension (lowered by 1.5 " front and back, the Bilstein tuned suspension does this), I will have the body work done. I have already purchased an entire passenger side quarter of a salvage '96 GT and this will be used to do the repair of the body damage.

Pearl will have a urethane front bumper cover and a fiberglass Ram Air hood from the Stalker kit by Cervinis in New Jersey. Below is a picture of the front bumper cover and the hood.

http://www.cervinis.com/94-98mustang...nt-bumper.html

On the rear there will be a stock OEM Mustang GT urethane bumper cover with a urethane valance by Team Xenon. You can get an idea of what it will look like by seeing the picture below of the rear view of the "Bumble Bee" colored Mustang convertible.

http://teamxenon.com/blog/xenongtsty...g-94-98-83-93/
Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear it.I might have missed it in your OP but did you upgrade the heads/cams or did you stay with factory parts?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
JimK

The heads and cams are factory. But the plan is for later this year or early next year to put these Trickflow 44cc heads with stage 1 cams.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ngine-Kit-44CC

According to Trickflow, this should add about 120 rwhp to Pearl. Before I do this I will have a new rear end put in. I am thinking 3.73s and replace the upper and lower control arm bushings and wheel bearings. I might have a new aluminum driveshaft installed.

I just got Pearl out of the A/C shop. This is unbelievable!!! After 16 years, the A/C compressor still works. Because it had sat without starting for over 3 years there was no refrigerant in the system. So they vacuumed out the system and dumped in 2 lbs. of refrigerant and fired it up. It worked! Measuring the temps at the outlet vent in the cabin and that was 48 degrees F. The tech asked me where I want to hang my steaks ! LOL !

They told me to run the A/C a lot for the next week just to make sure the system will hold the charge. Normally I do not like to run A/C. I like the fresh air and I want to hear the car run BUT when my lady will be in the car I know she will want the air and the windows closed.

Well I will close with a quote from Oat *****:

"Ever onward, through the fog!"
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Alex Kant

Maybe someone on this thread can help me out on a issue with my mustang. I got a No Fuel No spark problem. inertia switch fuel pump relay EEC ignition switch you name it ive replaced it...damn near the whole car has new electrical. only thing i havent messed with is the harness its self. could it be the tach grounding out? I had a truck do this to me in high school but these new mustangs are ridiculous to me. sorry Jim for just busting in but this has been almost 10 months of struggle. Some one on here has to have some kind of idea. If you need additional information Message me.