4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowering springs/Control arms, cheap vs expensive help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
bballv20

Default Lowering springs/Control arms, cheap vs expensive help...

Hi everyone, I want to lower my 99 GT convertible but need some help and advice because im on a budget. My GT's suspension/struts are all stock except for a Eibach Anti-Roll sway bar kit I put on it last year. I am on a budget because I just spent 650 on a shaker hood system and im getting new paint on it plus im a college student. This is my daily driver in the summer, I'm mainly doing this for looks and to help keep the rear end down/handle better on corners. I'm only looking to lower it by 1.5-2". My questions are;

1. Lowering Springs-Would you trust buying the cheaper Ford racing and BBk springs over eibach?
2. Upper and Lower rear control arms-Do I want them to be adjustable?
3. CC plates-Do i need them? Ive heard yes and no.
4. Saving money-I understand you get what you pay for but are some of the less expensive parts/products just as good as the higher priced ones?
5. Am I missing anything I need?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM
jeff37110
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bballv20
Hi everyone, I want to lower my 99 GT convertible but need some help and advice because im on a budget. My GT's suspension/struts are all stock except for a Eibach Anti-Roll sway bar kit I put on it last year. I am on a budget because I just spent 650 on a shaker hood system and im getting new paint on it plus im a college student. This is my daily driver in the summer, I'm mainly doing this for looks and to help keep the rear end down/handle better on corners. I'm only looking to lower it by 1.5-2". My questions are;

1. Lowering Springs-Would you trust buying the cheaper Ford racing and BBk springs over eibach?
4. Saving money-I understand you get what you pay for but are some of the less expensive parts/products just as good as the higher priced ones?

Thank you for your help
1.No problem with any of the springs listed..H&r is good spring also
2.Only if your gonna race your car.."My opinion"..
3.If you go below 1.5 inches yes..I WOULD RECOMMEND ON ANY LOWERED CAR THOUGH..
4.Sometimes but not worth the risk usually..
5.Make sure to get your car properly aligned after lowering..
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bballv20

Thank you for your help

1. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

2. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-9...l-arm-kit.html No need for adjustable arms on your application.

3. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...plates-94.html You don't NEED them, but they're strongly recommended. (for the handling improvement and additional adjustability)

4. All UPR Products are Made in America and they carry a Lifetime Guarantee. The UPR/Eibach springs also carry a Lifetime Guarantee.

5. Shocks & Struts as soon as you have the dough for them. I like the Strange 10-ways for a street car.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Sharad made a nice recomendation
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

1. H&R, Eibach, Ford, all good springs. Just look up specs and reviews and pick the one that suites your needs. I picked the Ford B springs because its a street car and didn't want it too low.
2. I'd only get them for racing. They will help for sure but I didnt get them for my use. I dont care if I get wheel hop and tire spin during weekend cruises.
3. I would say yes for any lowered car. Do you always need them? no, but with those and a dialed in alignment you will get the handling improvement over the strut mounts and you can rest easy knowing you're not hurting your tires.
4. Really depends on your intentions with the car. There are plenty of cheaper options that will work for a lot of people. I didn't have to break the bank on my suspension job. I just read a lot of reviews and posts around various forums that talked about the same parts I was aiming at.
5. Shocks and struts that go with your springs (especially if you're going 1.5-2"). Try to do it all at once and get a good alignment.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
bballv20

Thanks for the help guys! When I order the stuff ill be sure to post.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I would go with just camber bolts also, if you don't plan on getting out and adjusting camber plates to get a different ride I would just go with the bolts they will fix any camber issues.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
I would go with just camber bolts also, if you don't plan on getting out and adjusting camber plates to get a different ride I would just go with the bolts they will fix any camber issues.
I've got MM C/C plates and I've never adjusted them to get a different ride in nine years. I'm such a dumbass!

Wait. C/C plate have NOTHING to do with ride. They solely enable the correct front wheel alignment of a lowered car.

If I did get out of my Mach 1 to "adjust the ride using my C/C plates," I'd have to do it on an alignment rack.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I have MM adjustable LCAs on my Mach 1 and they noticeably improved the handling of my car.

I don't drag race and I don't do burn outs. They help going around corners and you can ditch the standard quad shocks.

Before you buy cheap LCAs, you might want to find the thread on this site about Granatelli LCAs. You might want to use "broke" in your search terms.

The need for C/C plates depends on how much you lower the car. I needed them with H&R SuperSports on my Mach 1.

Give some thought to how low you want to go and if you later plan on installing subframe connectors. With stock diameter 25.7" tires and H&R SuperSports, I have 3.5" of clearance between the asphalt and the bottom of my Maximum Motorsports full length welded subconnectors.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-23-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by UPRSharad

5. Shocks & Struts as soon as you have the dough for them. I like the Strange 10-ways for a street car.
Didn't cliffyk report that Strange front struts have a smaller than stock diameter and knock when used with certain C/C plates?

Quick Reply: Lowering springs/Control arms, cheap vs expensive help...