4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Well now i've gone and done it...

Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default Well now i've gone and done it...

well i picked up a 93 mark viii motor for $300, 96k miles, no harness, but has all the manifolds and tb. no accessories. hopefully the swap wont be to bad but im super excited to get this thing in here now. i dont think my 96 gt puts down more than 150hp to the wheels with how worn it is so this should be a nice kick in the pants. ill get pics up as soon as i can. just wanted to share my excitement.

soo... anyone got some mach 1 or cobra heads laying around with a matching intake
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

LL APPROVES.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Really couldnt have asked for a much cleaner motor... now time to pull the gt motor and start swapping components
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Port them heads out and clean everything up and new gaskets and rear/front main seals and all
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I found a 95 im trying to get, but the guy is running me around in circles. Good choice man. Seems like this is the "new thing".
Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

im on a budget so i prob wont do huge port job, maybe just gasket match all the ports for now. Im curerntly looking for intake cams from an actual cobra (those are the only thing different basically, exhaust cams are the same) and i still need exhaust manifolds and a different intake manifold. But new seals are def getting put in before the motor goes in, not gonna skip that part and screw myslef when i go to start it and the rear main leaks a quart a minute haha
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

okay without without going through all of the research and searching here and in google.

What's special about the Mark VIII motor? Is it like the Maurader motor?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

the mark viii motor from 93-98 has the same block and heads as the 96-98 cobra. same exhaust valves but different intake valves (mark has 10* difference duration or something silly) these blocks were made by a company called Teksid, are all aluminum, and strong as all heck. i believe people have gotten 1400hp out of them... if you want a 4v in your 96-04 gt, this swap is what you want. it is basically a direct bolt in. and the motor will run on the stock GT tune, and run well. can also use the same 6 bolt flywheel and trans from a 96-04 gt. prob the easiest and cheapest swap you can do. besides doing a PI motor swap. the mark was rated at like 280hp, and the cobra was like 305. with the cobra intake and camshaft you are right at that number then.

small list of things you need are:
fuel rails
exhaust manifolds
intake manifold
alternator
coolant hoses
gas pedal cable

the heads are i think the B series heads (people correct me if im off with the letters!!!) the mach 1 and cobras from 99-04 have the C series heads and with those heads u can swap the termi supercharger onto. so a simple head swap onto the mark motors and you can make good power. BUT, the mark motors do not have forged internals.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
the mark viii motor from 93-98 has the same block and heads as the 96-98 cobra. same exhaust valves but different intake valves (mark has 10* difference duration or something silly) these blocks were made by a company called Teksid, are all aluminum, and strong as all heck. i believe people have gotten 1400hp out of them... if you want a 4v in your 96-04 gt, this swap is what you want. it is basically a direct bolt in. and the motor will run on the stock GT tune, and run well. can also use the same 6 bolt flywheel and trans from a 96-04 gt. prob the easiest and cheapest swap you can do. besides doing a PI motor swap. the mark was rated at like 280hp, and the cobra was like 305. with the cobra intake and camshaft you are right at that number then.

small list of things you need are:
fuel rails
exhaust manifolds
intake manifold
alternator
coolant hoses
gas pedal cable

the heads are i think the B series heads (people correct me if im off with the letters!!!) the mach 1 and cobras from 99-04 have the C series heads and with those heads u can swap the termi supercharger onto. so a simple head swap onto the mark motors and you can make good power. BUT, the mark motors do not have forged internals.
Nice find for 300 IMO

I think youre pretty correct on your statement.
But I believe the crank isnt forged in the Mark viii as the Cobra is.
I also read some of the 98 Cobras missed out on the forged cranks.
At least I know my 97 Cobra has a forged crank but rods and piston are the weak point.

GL with the swap and take plenty of pictures
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i just noticed some errors in my post haha, i mean to say the intake CAMS are different, not valves and the exhaust CAMS are the same, not valves.

and you are correct, the mark's do not have forged parts. only cast stuff. :-/ but i'll take it for the money i paid.

Im planning on tearing the motor down a little bit this afternoon to replace some seals and stuff, and to clean it up. Im still looking for some headers, and once i get those, the engine will be coming out of the mustang. and trust me, there will be plenty of pics to go around

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well now i've gone and done it...