4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rebuilding Rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
successlife2013

Default Rebuilding Rear end

04 gt,My rear end is going out and has my gears slipping,I need to know what parts do i need to rebuild the rear end,I know the gears,differential,ring and pinion kit, bearing and installation kit.Am i missing something,

p.s if all else fails can i just get a rear end from a cobra?or will it have to be the same model
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

What do you mean your gears are "slipping"? Do you mean your only getting 1 wheel burn outs instead of 2. If so all you need to replace are the clutches in the rearend.
if your thinking about getting a lower gear this would be a good time to do it.
And yes a bearing install kit would be a good idea and FYI "gears" and "ring and pinion kit" are the same damn thing
You can get a rearend out of a Cobra but you are opening a whole new can of worms with that swap the Cobra has a IRS and the GT has a SRA your best bet is to find a 99/04 GT rearend of your going the stupid route
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

If your rear end is grinding or chattering, youre having gear issues most likely. Otherwise, like was already said, if your Traction Lok limited slip diff is only letting you do one wheel burnouts you dont need a whole rear end rebuild. All you need is some clutches and rear end fluid. But most likely you will want to have that done professionally, it would also be a good time to check the tolerances and the lapping? of the gears. Now if your car is slipping when you go into gears and accelerate, then that means you are having problems in your transmission.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Just pick up a used rear from an 03/04 mach 1 and call it a day.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
Just pick up a used rear from an 03/04 mach 1 and call it a day.
correct me if im wrong but it could have the same issue as his? only thing you gain is what 3.55???
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by luke1333
correct me if im wrong but it could have the same issue as his? only thing you gain is what 3.55???
your not wrong, and swapping a whole housing it a retarded thing to do.

it takes 3 hours to redo a rear, and thats me stopping for lunch and cracking a beer or 3.

pull the carrier out, swap ring and pinion and toss some new clutches in there and be done. if you have no idea where to even start with this job, then take it to a shop and forget about it. it isnt a novice job
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM
rwdfan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
your not wrong, and swapping a whole housing it a retarded thing to do. if you have no idea where to even start with this job, then take it to a shop and forget about it. it isnt a novice job
What he said^ and I agreed here as well
Originally Posted by rwdfan
But most likely you will want to have that done professionally.
Go get it done professionally, you can have a rear end rebuilt for less than you think if you shop around, just make sure that they know what they are doing.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

it takes 3 hours to redo a rear, and thats me stopping for lunch and cracking a beer or 3.

pull the carrier out, swap ring and pinion and toss some new clutches in there and be done. if you have no idea where to even start with this job, then take it to a shop and forget about it. it isnt a novice job
ok i thought so lol
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

LOL,

Doug, for the 8.8 rear how often do you have to shim them when installing gears?

I didnt put my gears in they were installed by ford before I owned the car so I just left mine in
Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

honestly, every blue moon do you have to make minor adjustments...and thats when you stray away from Ford parts.

99% of the time, if you use FRPP gears, and are going from stock or another set of previously installed FRPP gears, its a slap in job. You still have to be careful with the bearings if replacing, and know the tricks to get the job done..

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Rear end