4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

mach sound system tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:25 PM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

Default mach sound system tweeters

so i finally got to play with my speakers since it sounded like the front tweeters werent working. rear ones and all the big speakers work just nt my front tweeters.

well i figured out why they didnt work.. theres nothing even in there. just an open hole.
so my question is can i just put any tweeter inside the mach housing? and if anyone ever swapped them out can i have pictures?

and secondly id need help figuring out where the wiring would get spliced to.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 AM
barqsdrinker

You can't put any tweeter in the hole, unfortunately. The MACH460 "tweeters" run from about 300HZ to 20kHZ (the 6x8's handle everything below) and there isn't too many aftermarket tweeters that can handle the low frequencies. Also, it is a very odd size.

You're better off either:
a) finding a set of MACH tweets (eBay, CL, junkyard, etc),
b) taking the ones from the rear, mounting them in the front housings, and adjust the fader to be all front biased, or
c) rip out the MACH460 system as a whole and replace with all aftermarket stuff.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

damn. i was hoping i could just throw another one in. thabks though!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I would just get a set of Mach tweeters. They are decent sounding for a stock speaker. Oh, go with the older 94-98 speakers if you do, the ones in my 00 V6 and 02 GT sounded way worse than the ones in my 97 cobra.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I assure you can run different tweets. Not completely sure why people are saying it won't work - maybe they haven't tried? A set of el cheapo's from the indoor swap meet will be just fine and sounds about as decent as the Mach460 system is capable of sounding.

And how do I know? The above is exactly what's in mine. When I bought a box for my subs 6 years ago (at the indoor swap meet, lol), the guy kicked 'em down to me. Sound a bit better than the stock tweets, which aren't really tweets so much as they are 2" paper cone speakers like your alarm clock radio has.

As far as mounting them you may need to get creative. For wiring, there should be wires there. If not, pull the door panel and see if you can figure out where they went.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 07-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 PM
jake.carp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I assure you can run different tweets. Not completely sure why people are saying it won't work - maybe they haven't tried? A set of el cheapo's from the indoor swap meet will be just fine and sounds about as decent as the Mach460 system is capable of sounding.

And how do I know? The above is exactly what's in mine. When I bought a box for my subs 6 years ago (at the indoor swap meet, lol), the guy kicked 'em down to me. Sound a bit better than the stock tweets, which aren't really tweets so much as they are 2" paper cone speakers like your alarm clock radio has.

As far as mounting them you may need to get creative. For wiring, there should be wires there. If not, pull the door panel and see if you can figure out where they went.
how did you mount yours? and im glad i can use other ones, wiring doesnt really scare me im not to bad at doing it just a matter of knowing what wires to tap into. its alot harder to find the stock ones then i thought...
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Let us know how/if it works. The reason I thought just any el cheapl tweets wouldn't work is because the Mach speakers are 8 ohm and most speakers are 4 ohm.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jake.carp
how did you mount yours? and im glad i can use other ones, wiring doesnt really scare me im not to bad at doing it just a matter of knowing what wires to tap into. its alot harder to find the stock ones then i thought...
Honestly dude, I'm a bit embarrased to say how I rigged them and even more than that I am surpised it lasted this long.... I used packing tape to stick them onto the backside of the speaker cover, lol. Just made do with what I had around at the time.

I had the thought recently (had the door apart to do something else) to use some 1/2" wide metal strap (like "plumber's tape") and run one screw through it to the tweet as to secure the tweet to the strap, and cut the strap long enough to run a screws through it and into the factory tweeter mounting holes.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vertigo_GT
Let us know how/if it works. The reason I thought just any el cheapl tweets wouldn't work is because the Mach speakers are 8 ohm and most speakers are 4 ohm.
You might be correct on the impedance of the speakers themselves; pretty sure though that the system itself has a lower impedance... I know I checked before, but it's been a long time and honestly I don't recall what reading my dmm displayed. Going by the fact though that several people before us have successfully replaced the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers which are typically 4 ohms, my assumption is the Mach amps must be 4 ohms. If the amps were 6 or 8 ohm impedance then that would make it difficult to find replacement speakers unless you installed a resistor of the correct rating inline as to make up the difference.