4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Good polish that I can put on by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Default Good polish that I can put on by hand?

I'm going to be claying (idk is the term claying, clay barring or what? lol), polishing, and waxing. What would you guys recommend as a good polish I can put on by hand in at most an hour. Also would my 16oz turtle wax car wash and wax be good for washing my car every week and not removing the wax I'm going to be putting on, or should I buy a different car wash? Thanks BTW not sure if this is the wrong section. MB if it is it didn't seem technical to me lol.

Last edited by Arrickh; 08-05-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: cause imma thug and ill do what i want brah
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

There is no polish you can apply by hand to your car in one hour and actually remove swirls and light scratches. It takes me three times that long to polish my car using a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher and foam pads. Hell, it takes an hour to tape off the car to keep polish and wax off rubber, plastic and glass.

I know consumer polishes are marketed as "apply by hand," but the results will be poor simply because it requires a lot of effort to level the paint. I'm sure somebody will come along and claim they can polish their paint by hand, but looking at the paint under the sun will prove them wrong.

Your one hour by hand criteria leaves you with cleaner waxes. Pick one from Mother's or Meguiar's.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Random Orbital is going to be the only way and it takes time lots of time.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

kk ill just do the clay, meguiar's deep crystal cleaner, and their gold class carnauba wax. You think that will give a nice shine and depth?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

An hour is a tough request. I will say that Rejex (polish) does go on and off easily and will last a good six months. Simply use a speed detailer between waxes. Plus you can use it on everything (windshield, wheels and exhaust tips). It's been my go to product for about 6 years now. However I do branch out and try different things to compare them to Rejex.

Soap, I started using Adams last year with a foaming gun and love it. The combination speeds up the process and appears to cut down on the fine scratches.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by XEDES
An hour is a tough request. I will say that Rejex (polish) does go on and off easily and will last a good six months. Simply use a speed detailer between waxes. Plus you can use it on everything (windshield, wheels and exhaust tips). It's been my go to product for about 6 years now. However I do branch out and try different things to compare them to Rejex.

Soap, I started using Adams last year with a foaming gun and love it. The combination speeds up the process and appears to cut down on the fine scratches.
I think it's important to define polish. The OP asked about something to use after claying and before wax/sealant. Rejex is a sealant and does not remove imperfections.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Arrickh
kk ill just do the clay, meguiar's deep crystal cleaner, and their gold class carnauba wax. You think that will give a nice shine and depth?
Not really, you'll wind up with slightly shinier swirls.

Shine and depth are a result of PERFECTLY LEVEL PAINT. Wax/sealant adds almost nothing to these properties. It's it better than nothing? Yes. Do yourself a favor and check out autogeek.net and meguiarsonline.com
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

I don't have swirls because its a like 6 month old paint job. How much do you think a random orbital buffer would cost, and how hard would it be learning to polish?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Watch Junkmans videos on how to properly take care of paint polish, it's a 4 part video. Also watch his videos on the 2 bucket car wash. Because knowing how to properly wash you car will help then you will not get those scratches to start with.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arrickh
I don't have swirls because its a like 6 month old paint job. How much do you think a random orbital buffer would cost, and how hard would it be learning to polish?
Are you sure you don't have swirls? Have you taken a light and checked the paint for all angles?

In any case I suggest watching Junkmans videos on the two bucket wash. As you can save your paint now while its not to late. In a nutshell two buckets one with cleaning product other bucket to rinse. There is more to it than that though.

Quick Reply: Good polish that I can put on by hand?