4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

to tune or not to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
loffredo

Default to tune or not to tune?

Hello every one, I know Im about to get ALOT of hate for asking this question but I felt like it was necessary. so please just hear me out.

The Car: its a 2000 sonic blue mustang GT with 86,xxx, it already has a K&N CAI and full Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. it is my daily drive/weekend racer (against little hondas and whatever wonders into my town)

now I am wondering if I should get a tuner, and what gains can (if any) can I expect? and would it be worth it?(I know this sounds stupid, but i really don't want to do the 93 octane tune)

Im looking for hard numbers, I'v look into things like gears, headers, and ect... and haven't found any positive results Example (look at the last post) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ifference.html

Thank for the help!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Not a dumb question i would like to know myself, i'm planning on putting 3:73 gears in mine and it's an automatic so i'm going to need to adjust shift points and speedo, is it possible to adjust fuel injector cycles, timing.

Its a 1998 with PI heads and intake, P.P. 70mm TB, BBK Shorty Headers. Magnaflow. What other performance gains should i be looking for from a tune?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by loffredo
Hello every one, I know Im about to get ALOT of hate for asking this question but I felt like it was necessary. so please just hear me out.

The Car: its a 2000 sonic blue mustang GT with 86,xxx, it already has a K&N CAI and full Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. it is my daily drive/weekend racer (against little hondas and whatever wonders into my town)

now I am wondering if I should get a tuner, and what gains can (if any) can I expect? and would it be worth it?(I know this sounds stupid, but i really don't want to do the 93 octane tune)

Im looking for hard numbers, I'v look into things like gears, headers, and ect... and haven't found any positive results Example (look at the last post) http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ifference.html

Thank for the help!
you wont really see any gain with just a CAI and exhaust and a tune.. just save the money it would cost to buy a handheld and the what it would cost for dyno time... sct xcal $400 and dyno tune usally around $300 an Hr.. or if you hav a poweradder $500 right from the start

Originally Posted by WJL
Not a dumb question i would like to know myself, i'm planning on putting 3:73 gears in mine and it's an automatic so i'm going to need to adjust shift points and speedo, is it possible to adjust fuel injector cycles, timing.

Its a 1998 with PI heads and intake, P.P. 70mm TB, BBK Shorty Headers. Magnaflow. What other performance gains should i be looking for from a tune?
you will see some gains from a tune sense you have the heads/headers i think it might benefit you.. nothing crazy but a 93 tune and the tuner should be able to sqeeze a little more hp out
Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Hey Cobra what do you know about shift points? What part of PA are you from
Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM
loffredo

Also mines an auto, so it wouldn't be worth it to get a tuner?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I would definitely recommend a tune. Especially since it's an auto!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM
loffredo

Any idea on how many hp I would get?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loffredo
Any idea on how many hp I would get?
Just like Cobrafrenzy said you really want see any improvement until you add more mods. I suggest buying a handheld tuner and maybe some 373 or 410 gears.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

I admit I am new to the computer operated hot rods but I would say bang for buck is most definately gears. no gues work. lower gear= big ***** outta the whole. I have mostly stock 01 2v with 5sp 3.73 and its pretty bad *** for stock never quits pulling through gears. no dead spots going into 3rd like my father inlaws 94 with 5.0 and 2.73
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yes I agree. Sadly 2Vs and bolt on's don't mix. Gears are most def the way to go.

Originally Posted by GTgeezer
I admit I am new to the computer operated hot rods but I would say bang for buck is most definately gears. no gues work. lower gear= big ***** outta the whole. I have mostly stock 01 2v with 5sp 3.73 and its pretty bad *** for stock never quits pulling through gears. no dead spots going into 3rd like my father inlaws 94 with 5.0 and 2.73

Quick Reply: to tune or not to tune?