MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   SWFLGT's 98 GT Makeover (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/706235-swflgts-98-gt-makeover.html)

SWFLGT 02-06-2014 11:59 AM

SWFLGT's 98 GT Makeover

6 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. This is the second Stang in my life and my first was a 1985 GT back in high school, which I crashed. Back in March of last year, 15 years after the first, I pick up a 98 GT. Here is how she sat when I purchased her.
Attachment 54738
Attachment 54739

I did not do a whole lot to it but I did go back to factory headlights, Cobra wheels and black leather seats and here is how she sat for the past 10 months.

Attachment 54740

Last week while driving home my hood come un-latched and smashed up the window and more...

Attachment 54741
Attachment 54742
Attachment 54743

So I have decided that now I will start to throw some parts at her and see what I end up with. I have a bunch of parts for the repairs as well as some upgrades on the way and hope to get started working on her this weekend.

LilRoush 02-08-2014 09:24 AM

Ouch. Glad you're ok. Any details on the plan? What's she gonna look like when you're done?

SWFLGT 02-09-2014 09:16 AM

No doubt, it could have been much worse. I was fortunate it didn't happen on a busy road or the highway.

I am not completely sure about what I want to do with the car in the long run. I would like to see something close to 300 whp at some point and want to stay NA. I'm seriously considering spray as well.

I picked up some of the typical bolt-ons to get started. As soon as I can find someone to assist I would like to start thinking about heads and cams. Maybe PI heads with stage aftermarket cams, something more aggressive than the PI cams.

Considering my hood is maybe ruined, the stock hood is going back on today until I can have the glass hood looked at. I don't forsee any different look on the exterior other than different tires once these are gone.

Right now I have installed or waiting to be installed...
Cold air, Throttlebody, plenum, PI intake, headers, o/r x, flow masters and gears.

Just need to save a few more bucks for my next purchase which will be a tuner and custom tune.

school boy 02-09-2014 10:19 AM

I do say, the 98 cobra wheels are my favorite

jeh4269 02-17-2014 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your car.What make of hood was it that it came unlatched.Is the latch to blame or did the latch plate on the hood fail.Either way I am sure you'll get her back looking good in no time.

need4speed 02-18-2014 05:40 PM

HOLY COW!!!

Thats horrible and I'm sorry to hear about this. The good thing is that your ok!!

I glad to also hear that you plan on keeping it and you have some great plans for it in the near future!!

SWFLGT 02-19-2014 08:29 PM

Didn't this wheel first show on the 95 Cobra R, and does anyone know why they are called 98's? I do agree they are my favorite too.

I'm not sure what brand hood it is. It was on it from the previous owner and i couldn't find any markings on it. I do have the stock hood on her now. The plate didn't fail, was either the latch or me. It seems to function like it's supposed to.

Tonight I did the fog light deal so they come on with the parking lights.

99GTvert 02-19-2014 08:33 PM

The Cobra R was a different model than the Cobra. Do an image search and you will see the stock photos of a 1995 Cobra with different wheels than what you got. They changed in either 96 or 98 though, and I'm guessing 98 simply caught on better than 96.

SWFLGT 02-19-2014 10:40 PM

I knew they were different model just thought this wheel was from the 95 is all. I just image searched and i see the difference now, the 95 doesn't have the small lip and is smooth, looks sweet i like both.