4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2000 Mustang GT - Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 PM
ironwarrior

Default 2000 Mustang GT - Low Idle

I have a 2000 GT with about 39,000 miles on it.
The motor is bone stock. I have replaced the air filter 9,000 miles ago at 30k with a stock one. Outside of that the motor is all stock and original.

My problem is that the idle seems a bit low (about 600) after the car is hot and I come to a light stopped. I have an automatic transmission. The idle seems to sit at 600, but flutters a little bit. Once I came to a light and the car died. I've beenr reading about solutions to this issue online and the one that seems to be most successful is to remove and clean the IAC. I thought I might try this today. I wanted to ask though if you need to change the gasket for that. I tried a local parts store here and they said they didn't carry that part so if I do need to change it I am thinking it may be a dealer item. In any case I thought I would ask here. Also if anyone has any other suggestions before I try this.

Also I was thinking of adding a cold air intake since I have heard that it helps idle and improves a bit of throttle response and a few horsepower and better gas milaege. I ordered a cheap one on sale from American Muscle where the filter fits through your wheel well. I had second thoughts about that after reading some people sucking up water and ruining their engines. I read there was a valve to prevent this that you can install, but it didn't sound like the way to go to me. I also read about problems where people over oil their filters (i.e.) K&N and the oil travels through the intake and screws up the MAF. I can deal with that as the solution is pretty straigh forward (Don't over oil the filter). So I was thinking that perhaps leaving the stock setup and just adding a high flow K&N filter to replace the stock obstructed filter. This way I have no worries about sucking water into the filter and the filter is much easier to change instead of being up under the wheel well. What do you guys think?