4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Speeding ticket what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I know this is an old topic, but I am curious if the OP nutted up and paid the fine or if he/she worked out a plea deal. So I am bumping this up for that...in hope they respond.

As far as advice goes, listen to Uberstang, and I am not saying that because I know him or trust his advice... I am speaking as a seasoned traffic violator who has probably amassed more speeding violations or has been stopped for speeds in excess of posted limits more times than I can count.

If I do get I stopped, I just keep my hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to arrive at my window. When they ask for license and registration I let them know I have to reach into the glove box or behind me for my wallet.

Even if the officer asks "do you know why I stopped you?" I always say no I do not. I don't admit to what i did, nor do I take a wild guess how fast i was going. I know I am guilty but I am not giving him evidence to use against me in a court of law considering they are equipped with audio or video most times, and the other reason is I have a massive case of smart ***-itis, and my mouth tends to get me into a lot of trouble.

Now most of the time because I did the above when originally stopped, I get the "Failure to obey traffic control device or posted limit" citation which is a no point $115.00 fine. And considering I have been stopped for speeds in excess of the posted limit, and I mean way above the limit I consider it a blessing.

If I have to go to court, I simply ask the officer to reduce to the above mention citation or 5mph over and no points. This worked well in the past here in PA.

in MD, I always took PBJ (Probation before Judgement) it is a $70.00 fine, no points and no violation on your record.

in all of my traffic stops over the course of the last 26 years I have only pled to and paid fines on 7 citations with actually speeds documented on the ticket.

Take Uber's advice, it is probably the best on this subject.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 AM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
I know this is an old topic, but I am curious if the OP nutted up and paid the fine or if he/she worked out a plea deal. So I am bumping this up for that...in hope they respond.

As far as advice goes, listen to Uberstang, and I am not saying that because I know him or trust his advice... I am speaking as a seasoned traffic violator who has probably amassed more speeding violations or has been stopped for speeds in excess of posted limits more times than I can count.

If I do get I stopped, I just keep my hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to arrive at my window. When they ask for license and registration I let them know I have to reach into the glove box or behind me for my wallet.

Even if the officer asks "do you know why I stopped you?" I always say no I do not. I don't admit to what i did, nor do I take a wild guess how fast i was going. I know I am guilty but I am not giving him evidence to use against me in a court of law considering they are equipped with audio or video most times, and the other reason is I have a massive case of smart ***-itis, and my mouth tends to get me into a lot of trouble.

Now most of the time because I did the above when originally stopped, I get the "Failure to obey traffic control device or posted limit" citation which is a no point $115.00 fine. And considering I have been stopped for speeds in excess of the posted limit, and I mean way above the limit I consider it a blessing.

If I have to go to court, I simply ask the officer to reduce to the above mention citation or 5mph over and no points. This worked well in the past here in PA.

in MD, I always took PBJ (Probation before Judgement) it is a $70.00 fine, no points and no violation on your record.

in all of my traffic stops over the course of the last 26 years I have only pled to and paid fines on 7 citations with actually speeds documented on the ticket.

Take Uber's advice, it is probably the best on this subject.
I went to the DA office and basically acted like the cop was a dick and was out to get me because of my car. The citation was 70 in a 55, but there was a 65mph zone not far up the road. The DA looked at it and said "okay I'll do this for you" then wrote 60 in a 55 and I paid it.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:45 AM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

i almost got in same boat the other day! was comeing back from town and thought there was some slow polks in front of me so i passed going 110 in a 55 and one of the slow polks was a off duty cop but in a unmarked cruizer pickup truck ,needless to say i was like oh ****tz,but was a guy from my town that i knew that pulled me ,after running info he came bk to window and simple said slow it down ! i was like shewwwwwwwww!!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arrickh
I went to the DA office and basically acted like the cop was a dick and was out to get me because of my car. The citation was 70 in a 55, but there was a 65mph zone not far up the road. The DA looked at it and said "okay I'll do this for you" then wrote 60 in a 55 and I paid it.
The DA does that for everybody that shows up to court! Tickets are not about protecting the public. They are about generating revenue for local and state government.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Arrickh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
The DA does that for everybody that shows up to court! Tickets are not about protecting the public. They are about generating revenue for local and state government.
It wasn't in court but yeah you're right.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:13 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

In PA the 3111(a) obeidence to traffic control device rised to a base fine of $300 plus costs. It is still a no point violation so its better than a 3362 max speed limites. The district attorney's office in PA has no effect on traffic tickets, they are handled through the magisterial court district it is received in. In PA if u take a traffic hearing the arresting officer will be present. The DA will not me. You can't go to a magistrate and PA and get a ticket dropped. They cannot be dismissed without the approval of the issuing officer other wise the district justice can get in some trouble.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
In PA the 3111(a) obeidence to traffic control device rised to a base fine of $300 plus costs. It is still a no point violation so its better than a 3362 max speed limites. The district attorney's office in PA has no effect on traffic tickets, they are handled through the magisterial court district it is received in. In PA if u take a traffic hearing the arresting officer will be present. The DA will not me. You can't go to a magistrate and PA and get a ticket dropped. They cannot be dismissed without the approval of the issuing officer other wise the district justice can get in some trouble.
Uber when did the fine change, everything online states $150 flat fee, no other costs to be added per HB 1060

http://www.pacounties.org/Government...aintenance.pdf

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 02-26-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 AM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

PA sounds lame, glad to be in OR.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I went to the DA office and basically acted like the cop was a dick and was out to get me because of my car.
So, basically, you broke the law, and then lied about what happened in the DA's office in order to get off easy? You should have been a man and took responsibility for your actions.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket what should i do?