MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   How to get good HP out of a 4.6 without spending big bucks. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/721725-how-to-get-good-hp-out-of-a-4-6-without-spending-big-bucks.html)

Luke9222 09-05-2015 10:05 PM

How to get good HP out of a 4.6 without spending big bucks.

I got a 2001 GT mustang. Installed comp cams, pro comp intake, bbk throttle body, bbk long tube headers, flow master exhaust, 410 gears, aluminum driveshaft, new tuner and tuned. Car made 300 HP to rear wheels. So my question is where can I get more HP without having to spend big money. Would it be better to go back through the motor or maybe change heads? Install a small supercharger or turbo? I would like to get to 400-450 HP. If anyone has already done this I would love to hear what you did and any advice would be great. Thanks!

Steve

Mr. D 09-06-2015 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Luke9222 (Post 8506253)
I got a 2001 GT mustang. Installed comp cams, pro comp intake, bbk throttle body, bbk long tube headers, flow master exhaust, 410 gears, aluminum driveshaft, new tuner and tuned. Car made 300 HP to rear wheels. So my question is where can I get more HP without having to spend big money. Would it be better to go back through the motor or maybe change heads? Install a small supercharger or turbo? I would like to get to 400-450 HP. If anyone has already done this I would love to hear what you did and any advice would be great. Thanks!

Steve

I really don't mean to be criticizing what mods you've done, but I assume you want an honest answer. Unless you have a lot of other mods on the car you can't live without, I would sell it & buy a really clean, low mileaged 4.6L & then put a Roush Supercharger on it! You'll be at 460 HP with that one single $7.5 to 8K modification! From my experience you would have loved my Mustang below! It makes a much nicer all around car than building the engine & will have much better resale because of the GT 500 approach to power. It sounds like you've invested quite a bit already, & someone out there may want all those mods & give you a reasonable price for it. From my personal experience it is the way to go! I don't know what your budget is, but a clean, low mileage 5.0L would be another way to go!

I'll be ordering a 2016 & putting a Roush Supercharger on it!

The Supercharged 4.6L below runs strong much like a 2015 5.0L! The Supercharged 4.6L has much less torque than the 5.0L but comes very strong from mid to high RPM. As far as enjoyable power I don't see a major difference between them.

Hope this helps! Old "D"

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/mustang...2ab8ce9fdb.png

Z28KLR 09-07-2015 01:17 PM

400+ hp at the tires, you just simply are not going to make it without a power adder. Blower, turbo, spray - pick one.

Although, there was a thread a while back where a guy made like 380whp with an n/a 4.6 build, but this was with a $5,000 stroker shortblock, TF heads and cams and I dunno what else. Had to have a parts bill nearing $10K. Just put together a blower setup; if you piece it all together it can be done for under $3500 using all brand new parts. Another $500 for a dyno tune and you will be at the 400whp threshold that your stock bottom end can handle.

jwog666 09-07-2015 10:23 PM

no such thing as big power without big bucks, fast, reliable, cheap.....pick 2
power adder is the only way to go without, a complete engine build

PurpleIcedGT 09-09-2015 07:03 AM

Do yourself a favor and sell it and buy an Altima. #problemsolved

H0SS302 09-09-2015 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT (Post 8506741)
Do yourself a favor and sell it and buy an Altima. #problemsolved

Pansy. lol

Luke9222 09-10-2015 07:19 AM

How to get good HP out of a 4.6 without spending big bucks.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old D, I completely agree with you. I bought this car to fix and sale but it has growed on me and I decided to keep it. It's has 85,000 miles and been garage kept since it was new. Its a really nice car in side and out! But if I could do it again I would buy something already fast. I have spent $7,000 on the car with all the mods and I had to rebuild the engine also cause the rod bearing was knocking. I really wish I would have built up the motor while I had it out but oh well. I am really thinking about adding a supercharger. I should be able to get to 400 HP without having to work on the motor right?
Nah I'm not looking to buy an Import. Lol

jwog666 09-10-2015 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Luke9222 (Post 8506895)
Thanks for all the advice!
Old D, I completely agree with you. I bought this car to fix and sale but it has growed on me and I decided to keep it. It's has 85,000 miles and been garage kept since it was new. Its a really nice car in side and out! But if I could do it again I would buy something already fast. I have spent $7,000 on the car with all the mods and I had to rebuild the engine also cause the rod bearing was knocking. I really wish I would have built up the motor while I had it out but oh well. I am really thinking about adding a supercharger. I should be able to get to 400 HP without having to work on the motor right?
Nah I'm not looking to buy an Import. Lol

the kenne bell 2.1 9 psi kit will put you at approx 400 rwhp, i installed mine in about 6 hrs from soup to nuts on a stock motor with 73k miles, no issues

Luke9222 09-10-2015 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jwog666 (Post 8506898)
the kenne bell 2.1 9 psi kit will put you at approx 400 rwhp, i installed mine in about 6 hrs from soup to nuts on a stock motor with 73k miles, no issues

Sweet! So what did that cost you for everything to install?

jwog666 09-10-2015 12:34 PM

6k but that included the 90mm lighting maf and larger air inlet.