4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I'm gonna be that guy... Wheel/tire ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Thunderball

Default I'm gonna be that guy... Wheel/tire ??'s

Ok, so...

I'm sure this is out there since it's an "always a talked about thing.."

But after some slight reading and still not getting it (since I'm obviously slow) and I just like to talk to people.... lol.. I'm going to ask away and hopefully get something out of it..

So, wheels and tires size.. I have a 2001 GT.. Stock. I have been looking at some wheels.. Came across some 18x9.5 wheels. My thinking is to run these all around and throw perhaps 255/275 on the front and 285/295 rear to achieve that nice look. (I was also thinking of this setup to take away from the wheel-gap that there is.. So I did not have to lower as well..) And I would just love that look that you can get from wider tires on these cars. Yet still not sure what I can get away with as far as all of this.

Now.. After reading that you cannot get away with anything more than 17x9's on this car... I'm wondering.. What the hell? I have seen the setup I want on another stang which is where I got this idea and why I want it so much. So..... Is this doable? If so, can I just but and put on or will I need to do something more to make this setup possible..?

And then... Yes, there's more..
Offsets..
I am not sure about offsets and what will and will not fit.. These 18x9.5 wheels I am looking at have 2 different offset measurements. I am not sure which ones will fit, if any.. I know these fit since I have seen them on another stang like I've already said (a similar year cobra).. So I know it can be done.. But after reading else-where.... I am second guessing it all.
As far as the wheels, the sizing is 18x9.5 5-114.30 15 and 18x9.5 5-114.30 23. So the offsets are 15 and 23.

I'm thinking the 23 offset should work..? But that is just me thinking.

If anyone out here could shed some light for me.. It would help me that much more and hopefully not purchase something wrong. As always, thanks a lot in advance!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Long story short, 18x9.5 wheels will fit up front with the 23mm offset. The 2000 cobra r wheel replicas are 18x9.5 with 20mm offset. on the tire size, I would run 275/35/18 on those wheels but the 255/40/18 will be fine.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Thunderball

Can I also get away with running larger tires for the rear?

And what about offsets... Is there a limit? I won't need spacers or any extra work would I?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

With the 23mm offset, you should be able to bolt on and go. the rear I know will clear but I wouldn't go no wider then the 285/35/18's on 18x9.5 wheels. The tire sizes I gave you for the front are commonly ran on our cars and see not problems at stock height or lowered.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Thunderball

If I were to go day 295 wide for the rear.. I would then probably need spacers... ? Or should I just not do that at all
Old 11-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thunderball
If I were to go day 295 wide for the rear.. I would then probably need spacers... ? Or should I just not do that at all
295s on the rear will be ok without getting spacers. I had 285s with a 1 inch spacer and had problems with my fenders cutting into the tires. That's when I had the crappy summimoto tires tho, so it wasn't really a big deal. When I went with the Nittos (305s) I had my fenders rolled. Wasn't about to take a chance and have those tires damaged. Cost to da** much lol!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:32 AM
Thunderball

So theoretically I would have to roll the fenders in order to run wider tires? Or I'm fine until I decide to lower/throw some springs on...
Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Oh snap you're not lowered? You'll be ok for now. I'm just trying to imagine wider tires on a GT that's not lowered.

Last edited by Soldier GT; 11-19-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Thunderball

Ya I'm trying to think how it would be too.. My whole thinking is to get rid of that wheel gap.. Hopefully 18's could somewhat fix that.. As far as lowering goes, I was only thinking some mild springs - maybe like a 1.5 inch drop... But if these 18's were to help... Than I'd be good I guess..?

That.. And the tire wide'ness and offset that is still making me think
Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

You can go 295 without rolling fenders lowered or not if you have the proper offset. I ran 315's without my fenders being rolled and was lowered. I meant I wouldn't go wider than a 285 because of wheel width. Once you start going past the recommended tire width for a wheel, performance starts to hinder.